You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Wok, Chonaman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.44 replies
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Egypt: The turtle of the world?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Egypt: The turtle of the world?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Sir Snoopy
Conscript
posted 05-13-07 10:02 PM EDT (US)         
(Every thing said here is imho)
With all that I have seen on the forums and while play ing the game, I think that turtling is the best choise for egyptians. With their Brewer improvments, you can fend off any attacks while you reasearch the slave advisor so you can build walls. To defend the wall, you can send the charriots out of the gate to hit any seige engines, and with a long range bow hero (cleo) You can stop almost any attack. Then, in the late game, you can prevent any attacks and just raid with the charriots, untill you can build a big army.
To me, this seems like an answer to the roman rush. However, I am not good enough to try it. THe key thing here is the slave reasearch, so you can mass wals. Later, the "wood for gold" advisor is very good in the late game.

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
AuthorReplies:
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 05-13-07 10:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 44       
I personally prefer Persia for turtling because I like the schythe chariots better, along with the catapults, but Egypt is still quite good at it.

It is not a real option to defeat a rush at all, except on a map like Valley of the Conquerer or Abydos where you only need 2 or 3 sections of walls.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 05-14-07 04:04 AM EDT (US)     2 / 44       
Persian cats are the deciding factor. Egypt turling while Persia controls most of the outposts, means Persian cats lay waste to Egyptian walls from farther away. Out of the range of Egypt catapults. More recruitment points means Persia can rush in with either way more noble guards, or quite a few Persian noble cataphracts, that are one of the strongest faster units to take out Egypt cats. Egyptian flamming chariots are less effective in close smaller area attacks, since they are turtling and are more confined.

When I play Egpyt, even if I turlte, I try to break out on one side with many, many flamming chariots. And keep them pumping out. More flamming chariots in a wider area makes them a lot more effective and I have wound up winning after losing most or all of the outposts.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....

[This message has been edited by _o0XxX0o_ (edited 05-14-2007 @ 04:06 AM).]

Sir Snoopy
Conscript
posted 05-14-07 08:01 AM EDT (US)     3 / 44       
You don't think it's too hard for persia to get a wall fast enough? And what about brewer in the early game? That would have helped me a few hours ago.

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 05-14-07 10:00 AM EDT (US)     4 / 44       
I don't like the brewer adviser because civilians are, IMO, to important to turn into swordsmen. Its much better to save the glory and have a hero quick to stop the rush.

Snoopy, think about it. You start with 500 wood, 250 of which should immediately go into a settlement. On most maps that isn't even enough wood to build enough walls. On others, such as abydos, you just don't have time to build the walls if somebody has infantry coming in your base at 2:15 or 2:30.

Turtling just isn't an effective strategy in any RTS game because you lose map control. If they have 2 or 3 times more gold mines than you are, it doesn't matter how well turtled they are. They will come with 20 or 30 catapults and crack you open.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Sir Snoopy
Conscript
posted 05-14-07 09:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 44       
So the winner is the roman who rushes the fastest?

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 05-15-07 00:23 AM EDT (US)     6 / 44       
Actually I'd say it would be Greece as their rush can be 30 seconds faster, if all you are talking about is the pure rush. But Rome is still OP at everything else.

Sir Snoopy
Conscript
posted 05-15-07 08:00 AM EDT (US)     7 / 44       
If every one seems to rush all the time, how does a game go to more than one hour?

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 05-15-07 10:04 AM EDT (US)     8 / 44       
You beat the rush then work on your economy.

Sir Snoopy
Conscript
posted 05-15-07 07:50 PM EDT (US)     9 / 44       
Well, now I'm relived that the game can have some variaty, thanks!

DominatorGREP
Conscript
posted 05-16-07 11:11 AM EDT (US)     10 / 44       
Not many people rush in fact. A well-placed tower will stop your rush dead in its tracks.

From Agecommunity:
"French:
Pros: Powerful coureurs, many choices for a powerful army, a card gives the explorer the ability to heal
Cons: Expensive vills and Cuirassiers."
LOL
_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 05-17-07 02:22 AM EDT (US)     11 / 44       
Do you really think a placement of a tower at he very start of the game is going to thwart a rush? Towers are vurtually useless!

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 05-17-07 10:05 AM EDT (US)     12 / 44       
I agree. It would buy the person at most a few minutes, but the whole time they would be getting raided at the edge of the tower's sight. It doesn't save you, just delays the kill.

You have more chance trying to rush back than making a tower, to be honest.

Dr Grip
Conscript
posted 05-17-07 04:41 PM EDT (US)     13 / 44       
I don't think rushing is very common in RaF. Most people set up a no rush rule (usually 15-30 minutes) for their games. The main stratagy is to pump out as many swordsmen as possible and capture as many outposts as you can. In my opinion, outpost is one of the reasons why Romans are overpowered, since their "normal units" are the strongest anyway (apart from archers). They can capture outposts very easily in, and with these outposts they can pump out hundreds of powerful swordsmen without spending too much gold at all.

The Egyptian turtling tactics might work. I actually tried doing that a few times, most of them weren't very successful but those games lasted very long.

By the way I think a Town Defence in the beginning can repel any early rush. Although it will become pretty useless as the game continues.

This is the best signature ever!
DominatorGREP
Conscript
posted 05-18-07 00:32 AM EDT (US)     14 / 44       
Do you really think a placement of a tower at he very start of the game is going to thwart a rush? Towers are virtually useless!
Agreed about the virtually useless part. But note, virtually useless. I never use them late game, but I'm playing a game where I suspect a rush, a tower can stop the first few waves of infantry. I find it kinda difficult to chase down 3 swordsmen with my own while they walk around slaughtering my citizens. I like it better in other games where your citizens can be garrisoned.
It may be that I'm not too good a player, but it takes too much time to chase down 3 individual infantry that aren't in formation. And as I try to do that they kill all my gold citizens. Then I have no resources to get more infantry and 30 men worth of reinforcements show up and destroy my base.
As I said, the tower can buy you a few minutes to get a sizable army of your own.

From Agecommunity:
"French:
Pros: Powerful coureurs, many choices for a powerful army, a card gives the explorer the ability to heal
Cons: Expensive vills and Cuirassiers."
LOL
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 05-18-07 01:03 AM EDT (US)     15 / 44       
Nobody even rushes anymore, its very lame. All people play is high resource no rush so you don't even need to worry about it. But if you did happen to get in a good game with rushing on low resource, just rush them back. They will pull their infantry out of your base unless they are that much quicker than you, in which case you are dead anyways.

EDIT: Spelling error

[This message has been edited by GoSailing (edited 05-18-2007 @ 01:03 AM).]

RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 05-18-07 08:56 AM EDT (US)     16 / 44       
I will play rome against you and show you why it wont work.

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
Sir Snoopy
Conscript
posted 05-18-07 06:55 PM EDT (US)     17 / 44       
On a diffrent note, i'm not going to fear romans as much as I used to, as I just beat one with a much higher rating than me using egypt. Those swords men just fall to archers on wals. <Battle cry>

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 05-18-07 09:32 PM EDT (US)     18 / 44       
Well if the roman player is smart enough to use those bloody polintonos, archers die very quickly Nice job, though.

RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 05-19-07 10:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 44       
You should always fear Romans fatally when used by a RoR. But thats just my strongly advised opinion that you dont have to listen to but should.RoR did discover Rome its just the noobs that copied us and told everybody about Rome that made it so popular.If it werent for that Rome would be RoR only and RoR would be all over the ladder. ^_^ No complaints of OP would have ever happened.But since people did that we're good with all civs now and they can blame themselves for pushing us to be good at every civ.
Once again if you ever find me online I will show you why Rome cant be beaten along with every other civ if used correctly.

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 05-19-07 11:28 PM EDT (US)     20 / 44       
Long rant aside, I'm glad you got a win against them.

Sir Snoopy
Conscript
posted 05-20-07 08:25 AM EDT (US)     21 / 44       
What does ROR mean?

And I don't think that I could possibly compete with you, as I have only played about 6 games online. Sorry...

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 05-20-07 11:31 AM EDT (US)     22 / 44       
Its a clan, but please forgive Roman, hes just a bit competitive.

RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 05-20-07 03:15 PM EDT (US)     23 / 44       
Rise of Rome

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 05-20-07 11:00 PM EDT (US)     24 / 44       
but please forgive Roman, hes just a bit competitive.
Lol. Ya right!

A competitive player can play ALL civs. If roman had to play any other civ but rome, he would get pawned.

RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 05-20-07 11:45 PM EDT (US)     25 / 44       
Didnt I beat you and sail low res persia vs 2 persias back in the old days? Isnt that right oxo? my good ol pal ^_^ Shall we 1v1? Or are you describing high res? Cause in high res everybody plays rome but I cant even play rome correct in high res so pretty much the only thing I can do in high res is mass army and get the economy that I know how to get.

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames