Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Launch Week
Bottom
Topic Subject:Launch Week
smccann
Noble (VIP)
posted 06-13-06 01:25 PM EDT (US)         
So, any news around here? Has it been busy?

Got a lot to cover in this post and no particular order to do it in, so excuse the scattershot approach here.

As you can see, the online US reviews have rolled in. I'm not too worried about those scores, as I always take another look at the review scores generated by the readers. I hope the folks here on these boards understand that what really matters about a game is the community, and we're working hard to support that.

There MIGHT be a small problem with GameSpy stats tracking today, we're still working on that. No worries - any games you play that report stats will still report them to GameSpy's database, and once we turn our stats page to the proper link, all your stats will appear.

I'm still investigating some complaints of people being unable to log in with their existing GameSpy IDs, we'll have tech support post if it turns out to be a problem.

In all tech support issues, make sure to take advantage of our knowledgeable and eager-to-help community! I've NEVER had a problem with a game that hasn't been solved by the community first. And usually it's because NVIDIA or Creative has a new driver that fixes the problem.

PLEASE let us know about any exploits, cheats or cheaters, we'll be looking out for them also and working on fixes and bans as necessary.

More through the week. My sincere thanks to all of you for making this a great forum, and especially Intrepid, Lysimachus, Wok and Chonaman.

AuthorReplies:
Valdraz
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 01:40 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
Did the US get the CD and DVD or Just the CD? I've had quite a problem locating a DVD.
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 01:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
Thanks for the kind words Smccann. We are very appreciative of your support, and your willingness to answer many of our questions and address our concerns.

I'll create a special sticky thread for cheats and exploitations in the Technical Support forum.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
Wolfmoon
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 02:55 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
Valdraz, I believe that the US is getting a CD version and a DVD version. Not sure if there is a difference between the two though.
Valdraz
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 04:18 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
Well.. One involves me swapping disks during install, the other does not
citixen8
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 04:46 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
I just picked up a DVD version at a EBGames store in the US. Funny I forgot to check when I bought it assuming it was all CD's and opened it and was like "oh no, I only have 1 of the CD's" . Hehe.
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 04:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20       
Well that is great to know. It sounds like it all depends on the retail store and which kind they decide to order. If your retail game store orders the DVD versions, then your in luck. If not, then...either be satisified with the CD version, or see about ordering the DVD version online.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
Wisler
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 04:52 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
well i hope i get the dvd version but if i dont it cant be that bad to switch some discs
smccann
Noble (VIP)
posted 06-13-06 05:33 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20       
GAH - excellent question.

Until the very last minute, we were going to be 100% CD, because the retailers wanted to simplify their SKU management process. Eventually, some retailers decided to go with a mix.

All I can tell you is this:
GameStop - 100% DVD.
Best Buy - 50% DVD.
EB - No idea, but I think 50% DVD.

I'm certain that Wal-Mart is CD only.

Really, it's only 4 CDs if you get it in CD format, but I can completely understand if you need DVD. (I pushed REALLY hard for an 80-20 mix, but retailers were against it. They only want DVD if it's different content, like a $60 collector's edition SKU, and I'd NEVER do that to you.)

Thanks,

Sean McCann
Product Marketing Manager, Midway Home Entertainment
RiderOfEternity
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 06:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
Just for reference, how much more would it cost manufacturers to make a DVD than a CD? Surely 1 DVD is cheaper than 4 CDs?
Actually it's kinda cool the game actually needs 4 CDs to install. I remember the days when games only used half of a CD

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 06-13-06 09:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
Ya, and even Empires: DMW was only 2 discs. That was made about 3 years ago...

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Chonaman
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 09:47 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
Thanks for stopping by Sean. You and Johner and DrKilljoy have been great when you've had the time to stop by.

I hope any outstanding issues with StarForce will be addressed since this seems to be one of the major concerns of members and visitors here. I still have no issues to report with StarForce after a week of use, and the game has not crashed or lagged since I received the preview version (which includes StarForce).

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor
Intrepid
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 10:01 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       

Quote:

Just for reference, how much more would it cost manufacturers to make a DVD than a CD? Surely 1 DVD is cheaper than 4 CDs?

It is still more expensive to produce a single DVD than to produce 20 CDs.

XWolfGhost
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 10:13 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
Ya, I'm starting to think that whole Starforce thing is a sham. I have starforce on my computer now and I haven't had any problems
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 06-13-06 11:27 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
It can't all be a sham, but I do believe that a lot is. There are plenty of threads about it, so you can see everybody's opinion about that...

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Achilles_Warrior
Conscript
posted 06-14-06 00:13 AM EDT (US)     15 / 20       
I can't decide what was more fun:

1. Finding out that the 12th is actually "shipping day" not the day I can buy the game.

2. The 4 trips to different stores today only to find out that DVD seems to be my only option.

3. The wonderfull time I am having replacing my CDROM drive this evening.

Gee thanks Midway.

Cameraman
Conscript
posted 06-14-06 01:04 AM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
Well on most sites it does say "shipping June 12th..." And June 13th is only an estimated time that the game will be in stock (though from what I've seen that's been a good estimate). Most games appear in stores a day after ship date or more, that's the norm. Now you want to complain, go talk to Atari. There's this RTS game published by them called Act of War: High Treason. It shipped in Europe in March. In the US, it had the same ship date as Rise & Fall despite the fact that Atari is a US publisher. And guess what, when I went to get Rise & Fall, I did not see it in stores. However, the game was released via Direct2Drive (IGN's pay downloader service) for the US in March. However, not everyone has broadband to download such a large file and many people want the boxed version.

I agree Rise & Fall should have had the CD version more available through different retailers. But again, look to Atari and you'll find that Act of War was released DVD only.

Achilles_Warrior
Conscript
posted 06-14-06 02:20 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20       
Well now that I am on the other side of installing a DVD drive and having played my very first game on GameSpy after getting around the login problem, I feel much better.

:P

This game is very fun, I must say.

smccann
Noble (VIP)
posted 06-14-06 11:22 AM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
Whoah, Intrepid, hate to call you out like that, but here's the scoop:

In packaging, especially video games, the costs of manufacturing are also tagged with the insertion costs. So, for example, 2 CDs require twice the insertion charge of 1 DVD.

In other words, if I charge you a nickel to pop a disc in, it costs you 20 cents to put in 4 CDs and it costs you 5 cents to put in 1 DVD. Additionally, the manual, the Alienware insert, the registration card, the stickers on the bottom - they all have insertion costs, so my total savings isn't much, but it's still significant if you're just talking discs.

The manufacturing costs are also much different than what you might think.

I'm not going to get REALLY specific here, because our costs are the results of a contract between the manufacturers and ourselves, and we like to keep those terms quiet, BUT:

A DVD costs only slightly more than 2 CDs to manufacture. At 4 CDs, the CD SKU costs Midway almost twice as much for disc and insertion costs as the DVD SKU.

Makes a lotta sense, huh?

Intrepid
Conscript
posted 06-14-06 05:27 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20       

Quote:

Whoah, Intrepid, hate to call you out like that, but here's the scoop:

Well, what the hell do I know, I don't make video games.

I think I read that statistic somewhere a few years ago, but I suppose it makes sense the manufacturing facilities exist now to make the production of a DVD more comparable to a CD in terms of cost.

Thanks for the info.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid (edited 06-14-2006 @ 05:29 PM).]

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 06-14-06 06:03 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20       
Achilles, I am with you on this one... Supposedly CompUSA was supposed to recieve the games about 5 hours ago... they still do not have it, and because of that, I won't be able to get it tilll about Saturday, because my family and I are very busy...

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames