You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Wok, Chonaman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.25 replies
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » 1UP 5.0/10 Yahoo Games 3.5/5
Bottom
Topic Subject:1UP 5.0/10 Yahoo Games 3.5/5
Intrepid
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 08:49 AM EDT (US)         
AuthorReplies:
Nobull
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 09:24 AM EDT (US)     1 / 25       
http://www.gameaxis.com/articles/view.php?id=960&gid=1293

gameaxis gives it 8.3

difinately some mixed reviews with this game :s

though that hasnt stopped games from doing well in the sales department before...

Well Lois, I tried finding my creativity like you said. First I tried an art class..Am I-Am I supposed to draw the penis? Then I tried sculpting..Am I-Am I supposed to sculpt the penis? Then i tried music..Am I-Am I supposed to conduct with my penis? Then I realised that this is it, Lois, my penis belongs on stage! ---Family Guy
Bossman
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 09:36 AM EDT (US)     2 / 25       
It sounded like the 1UP reviewer only played the campaign.
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 10:03 AM EDT (US)     3 / 25       
Which blows my mind, because the campaigns in R&F were some of the most fun I've ever played that were developed from a studio. They sure have a way to lock you into a whole new world as a Hero. The Alexander Campaign is especially impressive.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
Dima86
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 10:10 AM EDT (US)     4 / 25       
These reviews are extremley retarded.
THe same people who review FPS;s who go online to play their games before writing reviews, spend a couple hours playing the campaign and writing their reviews???

I dont understand it. Some of these reviews sound like paid of writers who are part of some sort of "Destroy RAF reputation" conspiracy.

I think perhaps over zealous ex SSSI employees, or perhaps some major competitor like microsoft is paying of the writers?!@?!@

I think id rather belive that then the opinions of half arsed reviewers who dont know the first thing about rts.

EvilSanta
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 10:21 AM EDT (US)     5 / 25       
Do these guys actually install the game on their pcs or just make their own version of gamespot review?
heflys
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 10:22 AM EDT (US)     6 / 25       
So MS would pay to have a smaller game like R&F destroyed for no apparent reason? Nevermind the bigger games that have come out.

Also, why would SSSI employees pay to have their hard work deplored? Yes, let's make our last game the biggest flop of the century!! Does that sound logical to you?

Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 10:24 AM EDT (US)     7 / 25       

Quote:

"In each case the place is loaded with details from waving vegetation to shimmering water, all while hundreds of units are gathering resources, building things, fighting each other, or traveling in ships or conducting a siege on a nearby outpost or city. There's a LOT of activity going on in this game, and the fact that it's all happening simultaneously speaks volumes about the strength of the already solid looking engine"

It's interesting to see the opinions of different reviewers depending on what they are willing to focus on. Other reviewers consider it lacking in detail and vegetation, but this reviewer seems to think otherwise.

So far, GameAxis review is the best one I've read yet. It didn't overrate the game, it was fair, and it seemed to cover most of the major innovative aspects of the game.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 06-13-2006 @ 10:48 AM).]

_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 10:40 AM EDT (US)     8 / 25       
For the Yahoo review, I agree with a little of what he's saying, but not his console game snobbery.

Everytime you move a troop of units, they go into formation, and you cant see their health. I have to keep turning off the smart formation, so that all the non ranged units attack and not just the frontline.

Boat pathing is a bit annoying. They sometimes wont't move unless you carefully move 1 or some of them out of the way.

Siege rams are great for auto attacking buildings, but they have to be repeatedly coaxed to take walls down.

I know I only have the demo. Have to wait till tommorow morning to get the retail.

The game is great. A few minor bugs, but what new game has no bugs? None. That's a fact. The question will be what kind of support the game will get down the road.

I went into Wall-Mart this morning, and low and behold, Age Of Kings was still on the shelves. Damn! How long has that game been around? A long time because of excellent product support and patches.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 06-13-06 10:46 AM EDT (US)     9 / 25       
The 1UP review was a load of crap, but I don't have any ideas for fixing it... If anyone thinks of a reasonabl idea, that does not involve murder, I would like to hear it.

I mean really... "The best thing that could be said about Rise and Fall is that it was a good idea."

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old

[This message has been edited by GoSailing (edited 06-13-2006 @ 10:48 AM).]

heflys
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 10:50 AM EDT (US)     10 / 25       
From what I've been hearing/reading, expect the reviews to get worse.
Wisler
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 11:02 AM EDT (US)     11 / 25       
go sailing, we dont need to murder them, just rough them up a bit.... :P
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 12:29 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25       
I knew several hard-core gamers from college (conducted LAN parties and everything) who refused to read reviews.

They said "nope, never will". I was wondering why? They said they don't trust reviews from any gaming sites. The only reviews they consider are their own personal ones when they evaluate the game.

I'm beginning to agree.

smccann
Noble (VIP)
posted 06-13-06 01:01 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25       
For what it's worth...

The reviewers in the Yahoo!, Gamespot and 1Up reviews all had final code for about three weeks. We're fairly sure that they played the game because we could see their activation keys. Any technical problems they had with the game were addressed to us (and they had almost none.)

So the quality of the review is based on their experience with the title, and Midway respects that. Each of these reviewers are professional and knowledgeable, and I personally hold them in high esteem.

NEEDLESS to say, their experiences have been quite different than ours. I STILL play the demo mission single-player part, and I showed it personally to 300 people at E3, who invariably said "Aw, COOL." The demo skirmish gave everybody a taste of the multiplayer component and a sense of what hero mode can do in multiplayer.

Personally, I've never doubted that R&F is more fun than AOEIII. There's just too much innovation in Hero Command to ignore that what we've ALWAYS wanted to do in an RTS is get down there and smack fools around like all our troops.

I agree the most so far with Yahoo!'s statement here: “If you've ever gotten the sense in an RTS that it's all those little guys down on the map who are having all the fun, then this game is your chance to join in”

It's the first thing I recognized about R&F when I started in January 05, it's the first thing I discussed with the folks at Stainless, it's the idea that really captured the imaginations of our competition when they first saw it, and it was extremely popular with all the gameplay testers, internal and external.

R&F has legs, it's fun, and in our experience, these reviews just miss that a little bit.

Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 01:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25       
Thanks for the encouragement smccan.

Another point worthy of mentioning:

Games like R&F are reviewed in their "non-patched" versions. Only once you attempt to login to Gamespy do the patches automatically begin to load, unless you manually download them from the server (which I am unable to find as of yet).

Rise & Fall has already had several patches that have loaded since the Gold, 1.0, Version. I'm not quite sure what they have fixed, but each patch seemed to range between 20 and 30 megs, and the game has seemed more stable since they've been downloaded. In my humble opinion, any game that is reviewed should be reviewed AFTER installing any patches that might already be available at the time of the review. For example, I have not had the problem of ships sailing into islands and mountains since the last patch--but there is that possibility this could be just coincidence.

Smccann, do you know of a site where we can read some documentation on what fixes the patches addressed?

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 06-13-2006 @ 01:12 PM).]

heflys
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 01:24 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25       
Hey! Why haven't you mods posted the game-axis review? I've been hearing that it might get some good reviews from somewhere else, but I don't know where yet.

[This message has been edited by heflys (edited 06-13-2006 @ 01:27 PM).]

Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 01:31 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25       
I was actually planning on it. It just gets a bit overwhelming sometimes to keep track of everything in one shot. One thing at a time. Pacients is the key.

heflys
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 02:07 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25       
I was really to be order you around, just trying to be enthusiasthic.
Chonaman
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 07:32 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25       
I posted a review on 1UP, and they have failed to post it. It was far more useful and knowledgeable than that of their own reviewer, so I have to guess there is some serious bias on that site.

I only wish I'd saved the text of my review, but it's now in the black hole of the internet. Crap.

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor
Blitz5927
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 09:05 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25       
I loved the demo so much I actually bought the game even though my computer wouldn't run it. Before you wonder why, I'm building a new computer in the next week with 2 gigs of RAM and two 512MB graphics cards, as well as a dual core Pentium D, which ought to be enough to run it . Plus, I just played my full version at my friend's house. Incredible. Really, I was floored. Didn't get a chance to play the campaign, simply because I was so enthralled with the skirmish.

Don't trust the reviews. Gamespot, 1up, yahoo. They're just not ready for it. Because this game is just incredible.

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 06-13-06 09:13 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25       
That is exactly my thought on it. Don't trust them, they do not recognize greatness in the making... only greatness they see is from sales and $$$.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Chonaman
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 09:32 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25       
The reviewers obviously took at least 10 minutes of their day to play the game, and clearly have an authoritative view of Rise & Fall (not).

I'm no fanboy of this game, but I can tell you, it's not "a basic RTS" or a "clunky, boring RTS" as some reviewers have stated. 1UP and Yahoo Games didn't even discuss gamelplay basics such as morale in their reviews. If you want the real scoop, stay here at HG. The commercial gaming sites have no interest in delivering information unless it has $$$ assigned to it. At HG, we are all volunteers devoted to giving fellow gamers the straignt poop. Hopefully, you know who's more reliable. Ugh.

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 06-13-06 11:00 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25       
Don't worry Chonoman, there is at least person here who knows that I am sure there are more as well.

Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 06-14-06 02:28 AM EDT (US)     23 / 25       
I would wait for Gamespy's review. They're usually very trustworthy except for that ridiculous shit EE2 where they gave it a high score like it deserved it (not).
superdroideka
Conscript
posted 06-14-06 03:36 AM EDT (US)     24 / 25       

Quote:

So the quality of the review is based on their experience with the title, and Midway respects that. Each of these reviewers are professional and knowledgeable, and I personally hold them in high esteem.

The gamespot review is far from professional IMHO. A lot of cool features of the game (like naval battles) aren't even mentionned in the review.

SUPERDROIDEKA
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 06-14-06 10:16 AM EDT (US)     25 / 25       
And the guy never played online...

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames