Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.25 replies
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Dumb question
Bottom
Topic Subject:Dumb question
Grains
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 03:19 AM EDT (US)         
Whats SSSI? never heard of it. (or them?)sorry for the noob question.
AuthorReplies:
_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 04:54 AM EDT (US)     1 / 25       
SSSI, Stainless Steel Studios Inc. The original designers of RaF. Company declared bankruptcy a few months before the release of the game, now to released by Midway.

Headed by Rick Goodman. The maker of Empires Dawn of the Modern World, Empire Earth, and before SSSI, Age of Kings, Age of Kings The Conquerors, Age of Empires RoR, and the very famous Age of Empires, with Microsft.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....

[This message has been edited by _o0XxX0o_ (edited 06-09-2006 @ 04:54 AM).]

chikoroll
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 06:47 AM EDT (US)     2 / 25       
a sad day it was
Grains
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 01:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25       
Aww that sucks. I thought stainless steel probably could've made it better than it already is. Oh yeah, how did they get bankrupt?

[This message has been edited by Grains (edited 06-09-2006 @ 01:42 PM).]

Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 02:07 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25       
It's a long story. You can read the evolving drama in this old thread here.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
Chonaman
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 02:11 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25       
There was never an official statement from SSSI on why they closed their doors. Heresay is that it had something to do with the fact that R&F was going to be delayed from its original release date of December, 2005 to Feb. or March, 2006, and evidently Midway was unwilling to continue funding SSSI through that time. It was a business decision, strictly.

It's pretty tough to keep a company afloat when your publisher won't fund the completion of the game you're working on, and you haven't earned anything from its release. The cash flow and lines of credit just ran dry, apparently. Anyway, no one really knows the details except Rick Goodman and the people at Midway, and due to legal and contractual restrictions, it was never officially explained. Very sad, but Midway has done a good job of completing the game.

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor
Valdraz
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 02:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 25       
We bent over and took it. I'll be shocked if we made the credits. Midway was too frightened to ship vs that stinker AOEIII, but did not want to sustain SSSI in the window between the planned ship date and Feb 2006.

<-- Was there.. There, its not heresay anymore.

,.!.. O_o ..!.,

bballkid00
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 04:05 PM EDT (US)     7 / 25       
Valdraz are you Rick Goodman?
Valdraz
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 04:07 PM EDT (US)     8 / 25       
haha.. no. Rick is far less vulgar.
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 04:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 25       
I remember the days when Rick Goodman used to post back in the days of Empire Earth. I don't think I've seen a post from him once since then--all through Empires: DMW, nor through the development of R&F.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
Valdraz
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 04:19 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25       
I stopped posting for a very long time also. The empires forums turned into just a frenzy of people wanting things that were beyond what we could provide them. Every time there was a blue post it was barraged with off topic repeat questions from other threads.
Achilles_Warrior
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 04:46 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25       
So what has happened to the team now a days? Are you guys working elsewhere? Just curious, I start a new job at Gas Powered Games on Monday and we are looking for developers...

Of course, it's in Redmond, WA. But hey...

Valdraz
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 04:52 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25       
I kick it east coast style.
Achilles_Warrior
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 04:58 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25       
Man I just read through that old thread.

One of the things that disturbed me was a statement someone made about the loss of an AAA RTS company and all the knowledge the team had.

I really do believe that the Titan Engine kicks butt, I have not had a chance to see what our Supreme Commander engine looks like yet, but I remember when SSSI had the Titan Engine available to license...I think that was an amazing time, a time when SSSI had a leadership position.

That is what is hard for me to digest. There were two distinct periods when SSSI was leading this genre. Empire Earth release day and then Empires: DoTMW day.

The thought that RAF is the last of these great RTS games is pretty depressing...

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 06-09-06 06:58 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25       
Yes it is amazingly depressing. It is always sad to see an era go, but the good things about era's or time periods is, even if you just left, you just entered one. Also you will be in more later. Hopefully this era will be just as good as the last for the RTS commmunity. Cheers! *raises glass*

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Grains
Conscript
posted 06-09-06 10:46 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25       
ahh that sucks. Thanks guys!
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 06-10-06 00:11 AM EDT (US)     16 / 25       
Grains... when somebody raises their glass and says cheers, you are supposed to do the same. Dont break another traditoin plz

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
DoctorKilljoy
Noble (VIP)
posted 06-11-06 12:27 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25       
Valdrez -

I made sure you guys made the credits. There's no way I would deny that to those that worked so hard on this game.

wjennings
Conscript
posted 06-11-06 03:31 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25       
Yee-hah! Thanks, Doc!

Let me say that, while bigwigs at Midway made some decisions that seemed pretty wacky (or just plain unethical) from where I was standing in Cambridge, there were many Midway folks that were a pleasure to work with, and who have poured an awful lot of sweat into this thing. I've got my fingers crossed that R&F will garner all the success it deserves, and I'm really looking forward to getting to play tomorrow with y'all!

SteveASSSI
Conscript
posted 06-12-06 04:45 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25       
Thanks Doc,

I'll run out and buy a couple copies today. Thanks for looking out for us Ex-SSSIers who busted their butt on this game! Much appreciated.

-S

Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 06-12-06 05:00 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25       
Apparently, Rick Goodman must have sat back and watched everyone do the work. According to the credits anyway.

Valdraz
Conscript
posted 06-12-06 05:15 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25       
He got a little one in the hint guide.
boggyXsssi
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 09:56 AM EDT (US)     22 / 25       
Really happy to hear that Midway included us in the credits. It would be great for us ex-SSSi'ers to be able to "obtain" some comp copies of the game through Midway. Although I want to get a copy for myself, I'm gonna have a hard time shelling out the money for something I worked on for over 2 years.
SteveASSSI
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 03:00 PM EDT (US)     23 / 25       
If that's what you called "work" Hey Boggy
boggyXsssi
Conscript
posted 06-13-06 04:51 PM EDT (US)     24 / 25       
Hey... the office light bulbs didn't change themselves!

You son-of-a...

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 06-13-06 09:33 PM EDT (US)     25 / 25       
LMAO. That is truly great. Anyways, you guys are lucky to be in the credits, since Rick Goodman isnt...

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames