Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Ancient Wars: Sparta
Bottom
Topic Subject:Ancient Wars: Sparta
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Irish_PXzyan
Conscript
posted 03-01-07 08:57 PM EDT (US)         
hey.

Hey guys...can anyone remmember Ancient Wars: Sparta? it was mentioned here in september. if not then take a look at the link.

Its an RTS game that looks very like this game, it sounds great and its out in 2 weeks from now

Now all i hope is that theres an editor to give a go

http://www.playlogicgames.com/games/?id=sparta

AuthorReplies:
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 03-02-07 09:59 AM EDT (US)     1 / 94       
Yep, I've been keeping track, and waited for the demo, and I know Sargon and Grip had their eyes on it as well. Since its release is Q1 2007, the demo should be out soon, and the game just shortly after that.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 03-02-07 02:52 PM EDT (US)     2 / 94       
There's no Hero Mode

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
Sargon II
Conscript
posted 03-02-07 03:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 94       
Ah well. Doesnt bother me too much. It should be good.

Veni, Vidi, Castratavi Illegitimos.
Dr Grip
Conscript
posted 03-02-07 04:13 PM EDT (US)     4 / 94       
Heh...currently I'm keeping an eye on 3 games: EEIII, Ancient Wars: Sparta, and Dawn of Fantasy.

Hope this will be a great game!

This is the best signature ever!

[This message has been edited by Dr Grip (edited 03-02-2007 @ 04:13 PM).]

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 03-02-07 06:43 PM EDT (US)     5 / 94       

Quote:

Heh...currently I'm keeping an eye on 3 games: EEIII, Ancient Wars: Sparta, and Dawn of Fantasy.

Ditto but didn't think about saying it

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 03-02-07 11:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 94       
Ya, I think I'll go pick up Sparta in april.

BTW. I found that even though I deleted Dawn of Fantasy early build, I still have it installed. I hadn't looked at it much before, but I've been playing around with it, and it looks really good. In a cinematic there were walking giant trees. There was sound, cut scenes, and I was able to play a little bit with resource gathering, unit training, and some fighting. Mounted units were not supported then, but I'm thinking it's a winner.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....

[This message has been edited by _o0XxX0o_ (edited 03-02-2007 @ 11:25 PM).]

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 03-03-07 00:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 94       
Wow man, you do all the cool stuff Finding harmless tricks for Gayspy and playing with games to be released in a year

_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 03-03-07 02:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 94       

Quote:

Finding harmless tricks for Gayspy

Meaning formatting for names and game descriptions.

In a scenario I also found a way to combine text formatting with dynamic numbers. Example....

loop a chat message with tutorial box checked and the following text:

You Have /r/#PA0001/g/#PA0002/b/#PA0003/#PA0004 Kills

-/#PA0004 is player attribute. In this case it will be for player 1 units killed, so the text will read:

"You Have 0 Kills"(at the start with # of kills player 1 has, updated every half second in a tutorial box at the top right corner of the screen). And the "/r/#PA0001/g/#PA0002/b/#PA0003" is represented as text formatting for setting the color of the message in terms of: /r#(0-255)= red, /g#(0-255)= green, and /b#(0-255)= blue, as the degree of colors for each red green and blue to make in combination to make any color.

Since 0-255 is not used and is substituted with "/PA0001", PA is player attribute dynamic number(in this case is a player variable) that can be changed simply by setting player attribute level with triggers.

This means you can have a repeating message in a myriad of changing colors without making a separate chat for each one.

For example, you want to make a kills counter that changes color for different levels of kills. then make the following triggers:

trigger 1 on
-condition; always true.
-effect; set player attribute level player 1; variable 1 to exactly 255.
-effect; set player attribute level player 1; variable 2 to exactly 255.
-effect; set player attribute level player 1; variable 3 to exactly 255.
trigger 2 on looping
-condition; always true.
-effect; send chat player 1, tutorial box checked, duration 0, chat says: /r/#PA0001/g/#PA0002/b/#PA0003/#PA0004 Kills.
Trigger 3 on
-condition; player 1 has attribute; kills >= 500
-effect; set player attribute level player 1; variable 1 to exactly 0.
-effect; set player attribute level player 1; variable 3 to exactly 0.
-effect; trigger; turn trigger 4 on.
Trigger 4 off
-condition; player 1 has attribute; kills >= 1000
-effect; set player attribute level player 1; variable 1 to exactly 255.
-effect; trigger; turn trigger 5 on.
Trigger 5 off
-condition; player 1 has attribute; kills >= 1500
-effect; set player attribute level player 1; variable 2 to exactly 0.
-effect; trigger; turn trigger 6 on
Trigger 6 off
-condition; player 1 has attribute; kills >= 2000
-effect; player 1 declare victory.

Player 1's player variables 1-2-and 3 are all set to 255. That means dynamic numbers: /r/#PA0001/g/#PA0002/b/#PA0003 translates to: /r255/g255/b255(the highest degree for each color[/r=red /g=green /b=blue]), which means the color of the text will be WHITE in color. With /#PA0004 as the dynamic and changing number of units player 1 has killed. So.....

A tutorial box at top right screen will read: "You Have x# Kills that is white text until player has 500 kills. At that point, trigger 3 will fire and change player attributs for player 1's player variable's for red and blue to be set to 0 so only green is 255. That means the chat tutorial will be green when player 1 has 500 to 999 kills, at which trigger 4 comes on, and makes red 255, green stays at 255, and blue stays at 0, which makes player 1's kill's 1000 to 1499 appear yellow.

When player 1 gets 1500 kills, green is set to 0, making text red, till 2000 kills, then trigger 6 kicks in and player 1 WINS!!!

I like this tricks potential for a lot of other applications.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....

[This message has been edited by _o0XxX0o_ (edited 03-03-2007 @ 02:51 AM).]

Spartos
Conscript
posted 03-03-07 08:34 AM EDT (US)     9 / 94       
Sparta does look very promising, or at least it did, until about recently (IMO). It's two weeks before release and no demo! When we all thought they would actually rev-up on advertising and start some kind of community for the game, all we get is silence. Something doesn't add up with this. With no community or support as possibilities for Sparta, it's beginning to sound quite familiar to Rise and Fall. That last thing the Historical RTS community needs is another game that dies less than a year after it's release.

It would really be a shame if Sparta ended up another RaF. Apart from quite a few historical inaccuracies (no one seems to be able to make an historically accurate game these days anyway) Sparta looked as if it would be loads of fun and fill in where RaF failed. I still think there is hope, but don't hold out too much, you may set yourself up for a disappointment.

As far as scenario designing goes, numerous reviews and interviews have revealed that there are "triggered events" and in-game "cutscenes" which probably means there's an editor. I'm sure we'll find out for sure whent he demo is released, they usually advertise more game features with that.

The fact that (at least to my knowledge) World-Forge is still around and may possibly make a sequel Ancient Wars:X title looks promising. In an interview, lead designer Torsten Hess hoped that feature Ancient Wars games wuld have more agressive public relations depending on the success of Sparta. I just don't see how it can be successful with hardly any advertising in the first place.

OWnEd YoU
Conscript
posted 03-03-07 01:57 PM EDT (US)     10 / 94       
I might play this...if and its a big if...My graphics card can run it...and I dont think it can...that is why I havent played an RTS since 06...

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2%
that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig. -
Hoarfrost
Irish_PXzyan
Conscript
posted 03-03-07 03:37 PM EDT (US)     11 / 94       
I have to wait till 20th April to fecking buy it..rediculas
Sargon II
Conscript
posted 03-03-07 04:30 PM EDT (US)     12 / 94       
Same here.

I want all yous to gimme some feedback on how good it is!

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 03-03-07 04:58 PM EDT (US)     13 / 94       
Aye Aye, Captain! *salutes*

If Wok doesn't mind, I can even do a big write up on it. I know it doesn't really belong here but enough people here are looking into it, and its not like there are vast amounts of noobies to get confused by the tread. Well, Wok, can I pretty please?

Dr Grip
Conscript
posted 03-03-07 06:18 PM EDT (US)     14 / 94       

Quote:

Same here.

I want all yous to gimme some feedback on how good it is!

Me too! I've decided to wait at least a few months after the game releases beofre buying the game. Just to make sure I've made the right choice.

This is the best signature ever!
Irish_PXzyan
Conscript
posted 03-03-07 07:14 PM EDT (US)     15 / 94       
I was going to test it out for OxO first...but then found out I have to wait over a month before I can get it so he is going to test it for me and see is it worth it or not.

But to be fair..the game sounds compleatly new and very interesting..not only is it my fav epoch...but it has my fav faction: Greeks

The fact that you get to design how your units look and what they wear is amazing..no more will you have a light unit...medium and heavy units..you get to decide how you want your light units to look..I cant wait for this

I cannot beleave how little advertiseing the game has...they simply have no idea that..people arnt going to buy it because it looks fancy..it needs reviews..it needs advertisements..I just hope I see an add on the TV in the near future

I expect to see many online users..and many from here too

Ravenyk
Conscript
posted 03-04-07 04:00 AM EDT (US)     16 / 94       
Saw the trailer on GameSpot. I like how they stole the naval ramming and boarding features from R&F!
Sargon II
Conscript
posted 03-04-07 05:12 AM EDT (US)     17 / 94       
Not really, a few games have that feature already I think.
They MIGHT have stolen it direct off RaF but who knows?

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 03-04-07 10:54 AM EDT (US)     18 / 94       
Personally I'd rather them have stolen it from RaF than not have it in there. Its a brilliant feature.

PS: Wok, I wasn't joking. I would like to put a write up of Sparta in here, but it doesn't really belong. Is it OK with you?

EDIT: Nevermind, I will just put it in Community Forums. Remember to check them if you don't normally. I will try to get the game day of release so you all don't have to wait (and because I want it ) but I don't know if I will be able to.

[This message has been edited by GoSailing (edited 03-04-2007 @ 03:02 PM).]

Wok
Conscript
posted 03-04-07 05:39 PM EDT (US)     19 / 94       
Feel free to post a write-up of Sparta in this thread if you wish.

I don't mind a bit of off-topic stuff in this forum. Especially since this is an interesting topic.

Wok?
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 03-05-07 10:22 AM EDT (US)     20 / 94       
Your awesome, Wok.

Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 03-05-07 11:47 AM EDT (US)     21 / 94       
I didn't even know there was an EEIII until just now.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
Irish_PXzyan
Conscript
posted 03-05-07 01:54 PM EDT (US)     22 / 94       
heh EE3 looks brilliant.

Sparta looks very interesting and am focusing on that game for now because its near release...well for Americans that is ill have to wait...but I will see what others have to think about the game..even if they dislike it..I will buy it no matter what.

I just hope that if they have an online rank system..that you cannot cheat or it being messed up...that ruined my short time online for RAF

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 03-05-07 06:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 94       
Lys, it was announced about 2 weeks ago. It got very little attention and I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't visit EEH where it was announced.

Spartos
Conscript
posted 03-06-07 10:10 AM EDT (US)     24 / 94       
EE3 went to 5th most popular game on gamespot on only its press release so I'd say it got a lot of attention. Go check out their main site and see how many people are posting in their forums.

And the release date for Sparta was backed up again for North America (April 24th now) according to gamespot.

Irish_PXzyan
Conscript
posted 03-06-07 02:39 PM EDT (US)     25 / 94       
I hope that does not mean US Europeans will have to wait until may or something to play this game..I hope they release the same time as America.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames