You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Wok, Chonaman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.22 replies, Sticky
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Rise & Fall Heaven to be archived
Bottom
Topic Subject:Rise & Fall Heaven to be archived
Wok
Conscript
posted 10-03-07 02:11 PM EDT (US)         

Rise & Fall Heaven will be archived on Monday 15th October.

Why?

This has been a mutual decision between the staff at RaFH and HG's Exco. If you followed the game's progress at all, you will know that Rise & Fall was mostly considered a failure in the gaming industry. Whilst most of the forummers and staff on this Heaven enjoyed the game, a good online community never developed, and interest naturally dwindled as time went by. Currently there is extremely little activity, both at RaFH and in the Rise & Fall community in general. Therefore, in the interest of better focusing HG's resources and allowing the network to progress, Rise & Fall Heaven will be archived.

What does this mean?

Essentially, the site will stay online, but will be removed from the list of active sites on HG's navbars. The forums and download sections will be closed, so that they can be read but nothing new can be added to them. All the existing content on the site (articles, images, videos) will remain.

This has not been an easy decision. I have become very attached to RaFH during my year-and-a-half here, and I'm sure that this is true of the other staff members and many of our regular visitors too. I hope you will agree, though, that this decision is ultimately the most sensible, given the circumstances.

I would like to thank the following people for their fantastic contributions as RaFH staff: Chonaman, Dr Grip, Jaime Medrano, Intrepid, Lysimachus, RTEHistDesign, Elpea and Adder.

I would also like to thank everybody that contributed to our forums and download sections, and even those who just clicked on the front page poll every now and again. Special thanks go to those that have stuck with RaFH and are still here now (I won't make a list for fear of forgetting people, but you know who you are).

The site will remain open until October 15th, and I will be glad to answer any questions you may have in the mean time.

- Wok

Wok?
AuthorReplies:
Sargon II
Conscript
posted 10-03-07 02:22 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22       
12 days. That's a week and 5 days. I'm really sorry to see this site go. I mean it. I'm sorry guys.

Veni, Vidi, Castratavi Illegitimos.
A Banned User
Battle of the Forums EEH winning team
posted 10-03-07 02:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 22       
Dang, I only got this game yestersday lol, and I already had a couple of scenarios I had in mind I was planning to make, one of them I started today.
*sighs*

"Banned is a beautiful, beautiful man. Visit BfME2H, EEH, or DoFH if you want to see more of this wonder." - Blatant
"I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD" - Ashrzr defending himself from paedophile charges.

Scenario designer for Empire Earth and Empire Creations
1st July 1916, The Somme (4.6), The Long Road to France (4.8) and A Place Called Waterloo (4.8)
President of EEH, alongside Ashrzr (FILM DUDE!)
Sargon II
Conscript
posted 10-03-07 02:58 PM EDT (US)     3 / 22       
Sheesh, I feel sorry for you. That's just tough luck.

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 10-03-07 05:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 22       
That really sucks, Banned. I'm sure you would have had fun designing (and you can still, though I don't know any other sites to upload scenarios) as it is much the same editor as EE. Its sad to see this site go, it was my first heaven and legitimate forum. I'll miss it.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Chonaman
Conscript
posted 10-03-07 07:16 PM EDT (US)     5 / 22       
To all who've been with us at this Heaven, and played the game, thanks. I have a lot of old games that I play once in a while, and this will be one of them. It was a great concept nipped in the bud by a publisher in financial trouble, IMO, and damaged by the decision to use StarForce as a protection system. Although I never had any problems with StarForce, the decision to use it poisoned the potential gaming community to quite a degree, whether justly or not.

I worked with Rick Goodman's team as a playtester, and I can tell you, they had some great ideas and some features that would have made the game different and better than what we ultimately got. Very sad.

But even so, the game was worth playing and has provided me with 100's of hours of entertainment.

Hope to see you all in the next level of Heaven.

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 10-03-07 07:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 22       
Any of the staff here going to work at another site? Or at least visit other sites? I'm going to miss you

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
MoB FrEakO
Conscript
posted 10-04-07 01:23 AM EDT (US)     7 / 22       
Sad to see it go. The game had a great editor and the innovative ideas of first person allowed for great ideas to be made in the editor. Hopefully there will be a more popular rts with this feature in the future.

Glad I got to design for the game.

Mob

~M~ob Fr E a k~ O~
"This, Then, Is Our Destiny... To Fight, And Bleed, To Struggle And, Yes, To Triumph... This Day. This Day, We Will Stand Against The Night."
big_perm_friday@hotmail.com

Godyssey
Conscript
(id: Two_ace_u)
posted 10-04-07 01:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 22       
A sad day for RaFH,
I bought the game and got hooked.

But when I came here there wasn't many people to share the love of this game with

Still......

R.I.P ~ RaFH

A green great dragon.

[This message has been edited by Keron Cyst (edited 10-04-2007 @ 01:56 AM).]

Mixz14
Conscript
posted 10-04-07 03:57 PM EDT (US)     9 / 22       
You know I haven't been here long, and I haven't posted much, but I've met a few people with nice personalities here, such as, GoSailing, the first guy who backed up a newb when I first came.

I have to say my first memories here were 3 things. The 1 day game, I enjoyed this it's probably one of the few threads I got involved in properly.

The second thing is Mafia, I think this went really well and was a good game, I like it alot.

The final thing was Risk, which we aren't going to be able to finish now, unfortunately, btu I just wanted to say it was good while it lasted.

Finally, I would like to thank my friend Sargon for introducing me to a nice friendly community here on RaFH. I think we should thank him for the times he attemped (and did) to make it more enjoyable here for example, Mafia and Risk.

Sargon, thank you.

It'll be sad to say goodbye to some of you, but I'll do the first half, goodbye everyone, and thank you.

Use the power of your mind to achieve anything you desire.

"I can imagine a world without hate or war. And I can imagine us attacking it because they would never expect it." - GoSailing
Oscar
Conscript
posted 10-04-07 04:15 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22       
What I can say about this game?

Great game concepts and ideas full of potential by Rick Godman and his team, but not so good work by MiddleWay

I'm a bit sad about this Heaven archived, I would have liked in fact to find somewhen enough free time to make and to release in this site the two "sequels" of my raf campaign (the Dragon Cult is supposed to be just 1/3 of what I planned at the start) but nevermind, it's pretty too late now and in anycase I have still to start them, so it's not a sorrowful problem for me to delete this project

RAF The Dragon Cult Empires Fallen City AOM TT SCIPIO 1.1 LOTB The Lost Legion The Guardians Adventurers 1&2&3
Proud member of no ****ing clan
_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

rest in peace Compy (February 2001, May 2006)
Scenario Editor Screens
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 10-04-07 06:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 22       
Man, The Dragon Cult was only 1/3 of what you wanted? That would have been a huge project.

Mixz, thanks, but I don't think I deserve much praise for helping a noob. I was more of bugging Sargon.

Wok
Conscript
posted 10-05-07 05:10 AM EDT (US)     12 / 22       
Any of the staff here going to work at another site? Or at least visit other sites?
I will be leaving the HG staff, but I don't intend to leave HG. Maybe I'll find a site to work on in the future, but for now I'll be a regular forummer.

Wok?
Sargon II
Conscript
posted 10-05-07 11:30 AM EDT (US)     13 / 22       
Mixz, thanks, but I don't think I deserve much praise for helping a noob. I was more of bugging Sargon.
What did I tell you, Mixz?

As for me, I may well be the most sorrowful of the lot of us. Even though I came quite late to this heaven, this heaven was a place for me to escape to, and refresh my knowledge, listen to other people. Once the General Discussions stopped, the Community forum became my lifeline. Whenever I was sad, happy, or bored, every day I came on at least 5 times to check out what was happening. Without fail. Anything went. When I went on holiday, I checked it. The day my Grandfather died, I checked it.

Some people I met here are some of the most witty, brilliant people that I have never had the chance to meet.

Memories overwhelm me. From Phalanx Palooza I and the days of Adder, Lysimachus and all the others such as Oxo and Chonaman, to the more recent, happy memories of messing around with Gosailing and Dr. Grip, to the most recent of all, with Scuddles and Hnossa entering our forums.

I feel devastated by such a promising game and forum, that is coming to such a sad end. My farewells, and my thoughts be with any of you who I don't see again on Heavengames.

Peace,

Sargon II

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 10-05-07 04:59 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22       
I know what you mean, Sargon, though my main release were the games themselves.
The day my Grandfather died, I checked it.
I did the same when my friend's brother (who I considered a friend myself) died. My parents got mad, though, they said it was insensitive when it was really just an escape. It sounds corny, or even geeky, I know, but it is the truth.

A Banned User
Battle of the Forums EEH winning team
posted 10-05-07 05:20 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22       
Well i'd have loved to have got to have stayed here for a while and get to know you all, as even though i've only had the game for a few days, i've already fallen in love with it (Especially the editor) however, I guess it wasn't to be.
Peace dudes.
~Banned

"Banned is a beautiful, beautiful man. Visit BfME2H, EEH, or DoFH if you want to see more of this wonder." - Blatant
"I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD" - Ashrzr defending himself from paedophile charges.

Scenario designer for Empire Earth and Empire Creations
1st July 1916, The Somme (4.6), The Long Road to France (4.8) and A Place Called Waterloo (4.8)
President of EEH, alongside Ashrzr (FILM DUDE!)
Wok
Conscript
posted 10-06-07 07:13 AM EDT (US)     16 / 22       
As for me, I may well be the most sorrowful of the lot of us. Even though I came quite late to this heaven, this heaven was a place for me to escape to, and refresh my knowledge, listen to other people. Once the General Discussions stopped, the Community forum became my lifeline. Whenever I was sad, happy, or bored, every day I came on at least 5 times to check out what was happening. Without fail. Anything went. When I went on holiday, I checked it. The day my Grandfather died, I checked it.

Some people I met here are some of the most witty, brilliant people that I have never had the chance to meet.

Memories overwhelm me. From Phalanx Palooza I and the days of Adder, Lysimachus and all the others such as Oxo and Chonaman, to the more recent, happy memories of messing around with Gosailing and Dr. Grip, to the most recent of all, with Scuddles and Hnossa entering our forums.

I feel devastated by such a promising game and forum, that is coming to such a sad end. My farewells, and my thoughts be with any of you who I don't see again on Heavengames.

Peace,

Sargon II
That's really touching; I'm glad the site has had such an impact on you. I have certainly had similar experiences during my time at HG. That's the great thing about the network - there are so many great people here from all over the world, that even when you've lost interest in the game the site is about, you can have a great time getting to know people.

Wok?
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 10-06-07 11:10 AM EDT (US)     17 / 22       
Yes, its wonderful.

Sargon II
Conscript
posted 10-06-07 11:16 AM EDT (US)     18 / 22       
And I mean every word of it. It's a shame, and I shall miss this forum terribly.

Anguille
Conscript
posted 10-08-07 02:44 AM EDT (US)     19 / 22       
This is really bad...i am just starting to get into the game...

Hope we will still be able to download the scenarios?
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 10-08-07 09:55 AM EDT (US)     20 / 22       
You should be able to, but they may have changed it. You can still download scenarios from Empires Heaven, but that may change.

Chonaman
Conscript
posted 10-08-07 10:21 AM EDT (US)     21 / 22       
You should still be able to download whatever is on the site indefinitely. The only difference should be the fact that you won't be able to post anything new to the site, including to the forums.

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor
RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 10-16-07 03:13 AM EDT (US)     22 / 22       
Im going to miss RaFH like its a dead family member <333

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register