You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Wok, Chonaman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » New german edition of the game...with starforce?
Bottom
Topic Subject:New german edition of the game...with starforce?
Anguille
Conscript
posted 08-15-07 09:08 AM EDT (US)         
Hi all,

There's a new version of the game coming out tomorrow and would really like to have it but i first want to know if it's also protected by Starforce as i've had some personal bad experience with SF (being a really normal customer).

http://www.exlibris.ch/games.aspx?status=detail&p_id=16392&t_na=dbt

Thanks
AuthorReplies:
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 08-15-07 11:06 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
I'm sure it will, as that is what the game uses for protection against pirating. Its not something they would be likely to change.

If you don't mind me asking, what happened to you with Starforce?

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Anguille
Conscript
posted 08-15-07 12:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
Well i hope not...guess will buy it aniway as i've been looking for this game for a long time

About SF, I have a laptop and i installed AC: Divided Nation on it (which has SF). The dvd-player was broken very soon later...and not only once...i didn't believe that SF was the reason for the first problem so when i got my laptop back from the factory with a brand new dvd-player i reinstalled the game and bang, you guess what...the dvd-player was broken again.
The laptop has been fixed again and works fine but needless to say, i did not reinstall the AC : DN on it.

I have however bought a PC and SF is maybe less harmfull on that one...

[This message has been edited by Anguille (edited 08-15-2007 @ 12:20 PM).]

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 08-15-07 06:10 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Well that is odd but it might not be SF. Heres to hoping its not, anyways.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Athen
Conscript
posted 08-16-07 01:20 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
They should just take out starforce. The game isn't selling anyway. I do believe starforce does nothing to your computer, it's just a popular belief that has scared people. But if it's really haulting the sales that bad, then Midway really contradicted itself when it put starforce as a last-minute solution to gain a quick marginal profit and move on.

Top 15 RAF Ladder: [RoR]Acamas
"Macs are the computing equivalent of a dumb blond. " - Silk
Formally known as Acamas, Acamas_Samaca and Hero_Acamas
If you are interested in the [RoR] clan visit our website
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 08-16-07 01:31 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
I agree with you about the StarForce. There really hasn't been any credible cases against it, just a bunch of hearsay. All the same, if they put something with such poor publicity as their copyright protection you have to wonder...

Anguille
Conscript
posted 08-16-07 05:34 AM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
My experience is not hearsay...it happened to me and it cost me a lot of money to repair my laptop...twice. Of course i cannot say 100% that it was SF but i am very convinced.

When i had ACN installed, i noticed (and i also read about it) that the dvd-player war running like mad in both directions when it was going through the protection system. I would guess that the dvd-driver of a laptop is much more sensitive than from a normal PC...

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'll check the new version of the game anyway.

[This message has been edited by Anguille (edited 08-16-2007 @ 05:41 AM).]

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 08-16-07 11:23 AM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
OK. Have fun with the game and heres to hoping it doesn't cause any damage.

Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 08-16-07 02:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
I have an XPS M1710 Dell Gaming Laptop with a Blu-Ray DVD drive. I also have a Dell Inspiron 9300 Latpop with a regular DVD-rom drive. I have Rise & Fall installed on BOTH of those machines, and have not had a single problem with Starforce.

DVD playing, DVD burning, CD-rom playing, and CD-rom burning all work flawlessly.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 08-16-2007 @ 02:42 PM).]

Anguille
Conscript
posted 08-17-07 02:10 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
There could be many reasons why it happened to me. Maybe it isn't SF after all but i doubt it. But it could very well be the specific dvd-driver i have (laptop isn't Dell). Of course, SF won't cause problems on most computers (they've tested it after all i guess) but there are people having problems with it...and i am one of them (unlucky me).
Anyway, i will not try to install SF on my laptop again to prove i've been right (because if i am right, my laptop would be screwed again). I'll install R&F on my PC...
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 08-17-07 11:03 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
OK. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Anguille
Conscript
posted 09-06-07 03:06 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
Some news:

I bought the game and installed it yesterday and had 2 good surprises:

- I was hoping for this but wasn't sure...the Pyramid edition does not use SF....me, very happy

- Even better (how could it be)....it does not require the dvd to run! Big bonus

I've just made a short test on the Termopylae map but look forward to place 300 Spartans against the mighty Persian army!
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 09-06-07 10:07 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
Congratulations. I hope you have fun with the game. Don't forget you can download scenarios off of this site. The download section is right here

_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 09-06-07 04:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
300 Spartans against the mighty Persian army!
Persian Scythe chariot=bowling ball.
Greek Spartans=bowling pins.

Scythe chariot V 300 Spartans=Persia bowls 300. A perfect Score!!

Unit diversity is the way to win.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....
Anguille
Conscript
posted 09-07-07 03:59 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
Thanks for the infos guys!

What's good against the Persian Scythe chariot?
_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 09-07-07 07:14 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
What's good against the Persian Scythe chariot?
There is a Persian advisor called "Eunuch". It heals all units in proportion to what damage it does to enemy units.

Since scythe chariots do so much damage, they heal very fast. So archers(in great number), siege, and your Hero are your best defenses. Also retreating your forces up against a building shields them from some major damage.

Also cavalry has some very marginal effectiveness against scythes, since they don't "fall down and get up" repeatedly, so they are able to inflict more damage since they don't become temporarily incapacitated.

And of course towers are good too.

The one drawback to scythes are that they require a lot of attention to manage by the owning player, and can distract them from other areas of the map. Making micromanagement more strenuous, since they can't kill unless they are moving.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 09-07-07 09:51 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
I have found that the most effective way to kill Scythe Chariots is to mass out foot-archers.

Massed out foot-archers, from any civ, will kill Scythe Chariots before they even reach their destination.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames