You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussions
Moderated by Wok, Chonaman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Opinion:High resources doesnt take skill...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Opinion:High resources doesnt take skill...
RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 07-12-07 00:38 AM EDT (US)         
What's your opinion? I find that High Resources is very easy to play once you test it a few times...Low resources took me quite awhile to figure out...but I havent figured out High res yet because overall I've played it maybe 15 times...I find it very boring,verylong,very easy,and very stupid at the same time...Just wondering what you guys thought...

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
AuthorReplies:
Sargon II
Conscript
posted 07-12-07 11:19 AM EDT (US)     1 / 23       
You know what we think. We agree with you, and this has come up many times.

Veni, Vidi, Castratavi Illegitimos.
Chonaman
Conscript
posted 07-12-07 06:27 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23       
It takes a totally different kind of skill and mitigates the most treasured skills in the RTS genre because resources are so high, and thus reduces the margin or error (in theory) by a great deal.

That's my 30 second take on the matter, anyway.

Doesn't mean you can't have fun either way, but the acknowledged (professional) competitors in the RTS genre play low resource games.

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 07-12-07 07:54 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23       
Yes, we have gone over this. The low resource game is without a doubt more punishing if you make some sort of error. I prefer low resource myself, but there is a part to the high resource game that appeals to lots of players. If they, for example, don't have the time to play for an hour or two straight (or even 20 minutes) then a high resource game is the way to go because it takes less time.

Or at least it should if it wasn't no rush, but thats another matter...

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 07-12-07 09:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23       
My fully answer to this can be found in my post on this thread:

http://raf.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=9&tn=1004&f=9,,,100&st=10

It actually took me longer to master High-Resources than it did low-resources. I have found that are at least 10 different ways to start on High-Resources, which can prove fatal or life-saving in the end.

Low-Resources limmits you to only a few starts, not much more than 3.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
Calenae
Conscript
posted 07-13-07 05:38 AM EDT (US)     5 / 23       
High-Res does take skill, but not as much as Low-Res, since you can get all the essentials right away, but it can also provide a greater challenge due to the enemy being able to also pump out alot more, and sometimes quicker than you. Some civs are good at High-Res such as the Persians because of their low cost and quick training. So in the end it all comes down to your own skill and speed, and your preferred civ. There's my two bits.

Calenae
RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 07-13-07 06:46 AM EDT (US)     6 / 23       
Do you really think that spamming swords men and getting outposts is skill....when people play persia they do free settlements and turn settlements into TDs and then camp with fire on catapults....no skill involved in that...

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
Calenae
Conscript
posted 07-13-07 06:46 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23       
I never said there was skill in spamming Swordsmen and taking Outposts, and you asked for opinions, so I gave mine. On the free settlements to TDs, I never even thought of that, and I just used my first Persian cats yesterday, so goes to show how often I even read strats. But I agree with you that High-Res games are very long and boring, I've only played around 2 to the end.

[This message has been edited by Calenae (edited 07-13-2007 @ 06:47 PM).]

RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 07-14-07 01:26 AM EDT (US)     8 / 23       
I know I was questioning your opinion...

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
Dr Grip
Conscript
posted 07-14-07 04:53 AM EDT (US)     9 / 23       
I wonder what a high res 45 mins (or higher) no rush game would be like. I think it might actually be quite fun as the players should be at quite a high level by the time the fighting starts. But then most people probably can't stand the long time they have to wait.

This is the best signature ever!
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 07-15-07 06:58 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23       
A low res no rush for 45 minutes should leave everybody at least at level 5, most people around level 10. A high res for that long would just mean you hit your population capacity and sit for 15 minutes before you can fight.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 07-21-07 10:08 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23       
I don't think the "no-rush" time should ever go beyond 20min.

The only real reason this time-limit is set on High-Res is to actually test someone's skill in outpost and map domination. An enemy player may be technincally more skilled than you, but if he happens to look away for a split second, you can building hump him faster than he can blink his eye.

So therefore, the skill relies on outpost domination, which requires a lot of mental awareness. Sands of War is a favorite of mine for this.

I personally place both Low Res and High Res on an equal level as far as skill is concerned. I've played them both too much to know how much it takes from me in thinking. I'm privileged to be able to play both quite well.

I will nown list that are in my opinion,the 2 top players in Rise & Fall:

Low Res: RomanPwnage
High Res: Born_to_Kill

The very best Rise & Fall player is yet to be seen. Who would that be? Someone who can either play BOTH High Res and Low res at the same equal skill of these 2 players, or can play both and beat both of these 2 players.

For anyone of you who doubt that Born_to_Kill is the best at High Res, I doubt you will find a competitor that will beat him in a 1v1. I've watched him play against the very top High Res players, and his speed is absolutely insane.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 07-21-2007 @ 10:08 PM).]

RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 07-22-07 04:56 AM EDT (US)     12 / 23       
OMFG Lys....in order to be the best at a setting you have to be able to play every civilization...I do random in fricking 2v1s and 3v1s unless they're being Rome noobs...then Ill get Rome or Egypt... anyways nobody can beat me low resources so good choice there...as far as high res goes I think [RoR]x~Trx [legio]msx(a bunch of random numbers)

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 07-22-07 04:53 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23       
I say there are better low res players than Roman, but most of them don't play anymore. Myself, Burns and HALOPLAYER all included.

However, since I don't even have RaF still installed from my reformat 7 months ago, I couldn't say anything current.

[This message has been edited by GoSailing (edited 07-22-2007 @ 04:53 PM).]

RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 07-23-07 00:09 AM EDT (US)     14 / 23       
I beat halo in a 2v1 with mercyless_Player1 and yes I was the 1 .... Rome vs romeandrome and they got dominated....Burns could only rush with rome on Plains and we know I can beat that...

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 07-23-07 03:07 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23       
Burns didn't even play Rome.

RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 07-24-07 08:52 AM EDT (US)     16 / 23       
Yes he did...he rushed me and vin with it on plains all the time...me and vin always boomed though....

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 07-26-07 03:33 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23       
I thought you encouraged rushing so much Roman?

Now it's booming?

RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 07-26-07 06:57 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23       
Me and Vin used to boom all the time 2v2 on plains....with all civs...now since vin doesnt play much and everybody's high res noobs I just do the Greece Rush and beat anybody who will attempt to stop or beat my rush....

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
Sir Snoopy
Conscript
posted 07-29-07 10:11 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23       
You're very confident, aren't you?

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 07-30-07 01:44 AM EDT (US)     20 / 23       
Well yea if PwNaGe is your last name...

RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 07-30-07 06:08 AM EDT (US)     21 / 23       
Shall we 1v1 low res wide open no rules? Ill show you why Im so confident..or possibly 1v1 plains low res no rules Random civs you can pick your civ Ill be random...

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
Sir Snoopy
Conscript
posted 07-30-07 08:26 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23       
I think I'll pass on that...
Confidence is a great thing, I wouldn't like to break yours.

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
RoMaNPwNaGe
Conscript
posted 07-30-07 11:45 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23       
Some call it arrogance...but you cant break my confidence : )

(| /)
(^.^)
( > )>
\) \)
^Bunny
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames