You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Imhotep’s Blueprints (Scenario Design)
Moderated by Wok

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » Imhotep’s Blueprints (Scenario Design) » Demo can't handle 8 players
Bottom
Topic Subject:Demo can't handle 8 players
_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 07-16-07 09:24 AM EDT (US)         
I was testing with making maps for the raf demo. I was able to recreate the map in the larger sizes and reconfigured the demo corridor of blood skirmish map to the exact size as the Sands of War map. Using the file import/export elevation file feature, I took the outpost player 3 made him a regular player and added 6 more players. Making the 9th slot the outpost player. I then put 8 town centers for players 1-8 and 4 cits per player. Added gold and trees, and the same outposts from corridor.

The demo map has a limited data file. This means that corridor of blood terrain must be used and only the objects used in that map. No other civs other than Egypt. It also means grasslands day environment is the only environment that can be used. This limits sounds, music and graphic effects too.

I made the test demo and tried it out...it worked...for about 10 minutes. It turns out as soon as the 1st building is destroyed, the game crashes! Ahh soooo close!!!

[JPEG, (457.78 KB)]

Oh well. Another test of a 4 player, 400x400 map worked perfectly.

...............(\ /)................
..............(^.^)...............
.............<( < )...............
...............(/ (/................
...All American Bunny.....

[This message has been edited by _o0XxX0o_ (edited 07-16-2007 @ 09:25 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 07-16-07 12:39 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
Simply incredible. I'm glad you are still having fun playing with the editor.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Sargon II
Conscript
posted 07-16-07 01:49 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Lol, nice.

Veni, Vidi, Castratavi Illegitimos.
MoB FrEakO
Conscript
posted 07-18-07 02:53 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
lol still hard at work I see, give up buddy

~M~ob Fr E a k~ O~
"This, Then, Is Our Destiny... To Fight, And Bleed, To Struggle And, Yes, To Triumph... This Day. This Day, We Will Stand Against The Night."
big_perm_friday@hotmail.com

Sargon II
Conscript
posted 07-18-07 10:36 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Oh hi Mob, haven't seen you around here lately. Then again, you left shortly after I came.

_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 07-18-07 07:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
This is sooo weird!! Just yesterday I was just thinking about the time you were trying to make a hitman for RaF, Mob. Anyways, I got a 6 player demo skirmish that works fine.

[JPEG, (392.25 KB)]

-It has the exact same size map as sands of war.
-The exact same elevation as Sands.
-All the exact same outposts in the exact same locations.
-The Town centers are in the exact same locations.
-All the gold mines are exactly in the same locations as Sands, with the exact same amount of gold each.
-The terrain is from the Cleo demo campaign scenario(which is better than the corridor of blood terrain[any other terrain type and the game would crash, due to the limited data files for the demo]).

As soon as I get the trees a little more like Sands of War, and the terrain a little better blended , I'm going to submit it to downloads.

[This message has been edited by _o0XxX0o_ (edited 07-18-2007 @ 07:35 PM).]

Sargon II
Conscript
posted 07-19-07 11:49 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
Wow! Must have taken you ages.

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 07-19-07 02:36 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
Couldn't you just move the sands of war map into the scenarios folder?

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 07-19-07 04:47 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
Couldn't you just move the sands of war map into the scenarios folder?
How do you do that? As far as I know, the Sands map is not accessible. I had to start a Sands map then save it just to look at it in the editor. Besides, as soon as an AI is active, it makes it so it is an invalid MP map.

The hardest part is the terrain. Swapping textures to put the cleo 9 or corridor texture in, makes the a wrong mixed up pattern.

The elevation is easy. I used the grid coordinate feature to plot the exact size of map. Exported the elevation file from sands to the new map. Also I used the coordinate gird to places all the objects. As of now, all the trees in sands has been duplicated exactly, and are in the exact same location. There was however, 1 tree type in sands that is not in the demo that I had to forgo. Now all I have to do is go to the Cleo demo and compare terrain rocks, to see which are available so the new sands map won't crash. After that I have to color in the craters to match sands.

I also plan to add options to the final version such as:

-Pop limit selection option in the form of a question dialogue box.
-visibility options...full/reveal/not reveal
-diplomacy options such as free for all/2v2v2/random teams/ or tournament style play.
-play options such as random wine jug placement just like in the contested sands map.
-fun options like...all enemies objects are invisible/all objects that attack have 2x attack strength/all objects have 2x hp's/all towers built have naval onager catapults using create spawner effect.
-And whatever else hits my fancy.

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 07-19-07 05:48 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Oh yea, forgot how the bastards at Midway made it so we can't even look at files...

_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 08-19-07 06:38 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
I submitted the map several days ago. Please post it soon so I can submit the update for the very small correction needed so it plays correctly.

There is a series of menus when the game starts, that allows for over 650,000 game variants.

I set it to play online and tested it with other human players, but forgot to reset the cpu only buttons before submitting it.

Wok
Conscript
posted 08-20-07 04:41 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
I haven't received the map. Try submitting it again.

Wok?
Wok
Conscript
posted 08-21-07 02:09 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
Thanks, got it now.

Wok?
_o0XxX0o_
Conscript
posted 08-21-07 02:56 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
Thanx.