You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Archimedes Workshop (Tech Help)
Moderated by Chonaman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » Archimedes Workshop (Tech Help) » network multi player problems
Bottom
Topic Subject:network multi player problems
Jedburgh
Conscript
posted 12-25-06 03:01 PM EDT (US)         
I have 2 computers networked at home and two games. The game starts out fine, but the larger and larger the population gets, the slower and slower the game gets to a point where it is practically unplayable. I've lowered all the video settings on both computers and turned off any programs that may be running the background via MSConfig, but it didn't matter. Both computers should have adequat speeds... P4 2.8 GHz and P4 2.4 on the other. Ram is 1 GB and 512 MB on the other. The video cards should also be ok, 256 MB on one and 128 MB.

Any ideas where I need to improve to make the network play run more smoothly when the populations get large??

AuthorReplies:
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 12-25-06 05:24 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
There really isn't to much to do. I would check to see if it is your network lagging it. A good way to do that is to play the computer and get to a high population. If it doesn't lagg then, it is your network lagging it. If it still laggs, then there isn't anything to do. This game isn't very well optimized so even on the best systems there is still lagg. No matter how good your comp is, there will be some lagg and it can be frustrating but it is simply the truth of the matter. Sorry I couldn't be of to much help.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Jedburgh
Conscript
posted 12-26-06 06:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Well, that really sucks. Why do they create a game that no system can handle? As for my network, it's just a simple peer to peer setup instead of domain.

I guess the only way to probably do this is to just limit the population when playing on the network. When playing just against the computer... yeah it lags a little bit.

I have not tried just playing against my son on the other computer. So far we've just played as teams against 2 other computer enemies as teams with a 4000 population limit. I'll also give it a try to just play against him and see how that works.

GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 12-26-06 06:21 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
They weren't done producing it when it was released. The producer axed the developing company and didn't even get the final code they were working on. People who playtested the game said it was in better shape then than when it was released. Its very sad and pathetic, but its how it is, I guess.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Chonaman
Conscript
posted 12-27-06 04:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Remember that having a 128 MB card or a 256 MB card means nothing these days. There are plenty of dogs with both 128 and 256 MB for gaming purposes. My guess it is a problem with the video cards first, and perhaps RAM next. 1 Gig is pretty much needed to run the game with larger pop.

There certainly could be other problems with game optimization that one could criticize as well, but I'd look to the specs first. The *recommended* specs are pretty high for this game. Good, luck, and have fun!

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames