You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Archimedes Workshop (Tech Help)
Moderated by Chonaman

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » Archimedes Workshop (Tech Help) » New Sony Laptop--Freezes upon insertion of Disk 2
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Sony Laptop--Freezes upon insertion of Disk 2
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 12-19-06 10:03 AM EDT (US)         
I just purchased a new Sony VAIO Laptop with Blu-Ray technology.

I have the CD-Rom version of Rise & Fall. I install Disk 1 fine until it asks me to insert Disk 2. So I insert Disk 2, wait a couple moments, then click "OK" like I'm told. It simply "freezes" and "hangs"...forever. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete just to get out, and to make matters worse, I have to start over with Disk 1 again.

I tried adjusting the settings to my DVD/CD-rom drive, such as "no Autoplay", etc., but nothing work. I even cleaned Disk 2. I installed Rise & Fall just fine on my old Dell Laptop, and the Disk 2 CD has been sitting in a safe place ever since.

Any input?

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
AuthorReplies:
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 12-19-06 10:54 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Well, technically RaF isn't supposed to play on any laptops at all, but people have told me they play on laptops, and you just said yoi used to. Maybe you have a specific model mobility graphic card that it doesn't like? The problem with that is you really can't isolate the problem because all mobility cards are technically incompatible.

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Lysimachus
Conscript
posted 12-19-06 06:31 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
It should have nothing to do whether it's a laptop or not.

A CD/DVD ROM Drive is a CD/DVD Rom Drive. Midway agents mentioned in this forum before that R&F was tested on laptops.

The issue here is not that I can't play the game. It's that the CD/DVD Rom (which is also a Blu-Ray Drive)freezes after you click "OK" upon insertion of Disk 2.

CTRL+ALT+DELETE is the only alternative after that. Then it's back to square 1.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 12-19-06 08:49 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
Oh I see... Have you tried installing other programs with CDs? If those don't work, then you may have to check out your new laptop...

"It seems to me the humour of Sails is so dry you could strike a match on it and it would be the humour that caught fire." - Friend of Old
Chonaman
Conscript
posted 12-21-06 09:43 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
Hey Lys,

I know some people have had success running R&F on laptops, and some have not. As you know, Midway does not officially support any video cards on laptop machines, so it's really just a crap shoot at best. The game is basically unsupported at this point from what I can tell, whether the issue is related to copy protection or simple hardware incompatibility. We certainly don't have the resources to help you here: recommend you give everything you have to Midway tech support (dxdiag, etc., per their instructions). It would be nice to see you playing online with your new laptop. Good luck getting it up and running.

And happy holidays!

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor
kbash
Conscript
posted 12-24-06 03:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
you to can play any game on a laptop it depends what kind you get. i just spent 2.5k on a new Alien Ware laptop thats in the mail right now like hell it would not run on that.

"He who blinded by ambition, raises himself to a position whence he cannot mount higher, must thereafter fall with the greatest loss."
Niccolo Machiavelli
GoSailing
EEH Seraph
posted 12-24-06 04:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
The problem isn't how good the computer is. The parts inside a PC and inside a laptop are different. The game has to be set up to work for both and RaF technically wasn't. Some mobillity graphic cards are more similar to the PC cards so they work, if not well. Others are completely different and just won't work. Its luck of the draw if nothing else, at least for RaF. Most games are actually finished when they are released *sigh* and are made to work on every card made for laptops.

[This message has been edited by GoSailing (edited 12-24-2006 @ 04:13 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames