News Archives - October 2005
- Shattered Union Review
- Posted on 10/29/2005 at 6:07 PM by Adder
- Remember that game giveaway we had a few days ago? Well I've reviewed it, and overall I thought it was a pretty solid game. Here's an excerpt:
The premise behind PopTopís turn based strategy game, Shattered Union, is fairly simple, yet introduced very well in superb pre-game cinematic. Basically the United States has shattered into six factions after a series of terrorist attacks and disputed elections. Your goal: reunite the United States using one the six regional factions, the California Commonwealth, the Confederacy, the Great Plains Federation, the New England Alliance, Pacifica, the Republic of Texas, or the European Union peace force that has invaded the Washington D.C area.You can check it all out here
- Graphics tidbits - a little Q&A!
- Posted on 10/28/2005 at 2:14 PM by Chonaman
- We'd like to once again thank Stainless Steel Studios and Midway for sharing some tasty tidbits about Rise & Fall's graphics!
A sample: "... if you're down on the battlefield in Hero Command leading a charge against an enemy fortification and slaughtering hundreds of Persian soldiers, Rise & Fall truly looks stunning. And it looks just as stunning when you're in the traditional RTS view. Our graphics had to deliver on both counts, and they do.... That definitely creates a lot more work on the programming side, but since our goal is to create RTS graphics that rival FPS graphics, it was well worth all the effort."
See the entire Q&A here!
- Win a copy of Shattered Union!
- Posted on 10/23/2005 at 11:22 PM by Adder
- Interested in winning a copy of Shattered Union? We have two copies of Shattered Union to give out in a random drawing. If you're interested in winning a copy of the game, and you live in the United States email Adder with your mailing address, and you could win a copy of Shattered Union!
Note that you must live within the United States to participate in the contest. Your email must include [SU] in the subject line, and you must include your mailing address. You have until Monday, October 24th at 11:59 PM EST to send your email.
- Balancing Scenarios
- Posted on 10/16/2005 at 9:22 PM by Adder
- Scenario designer, Intrepid, has continued his series of threads about scenario design. This most recent post deals with balancing scenarios. As in the past, Intrepid brings up interesting points that are worthy of discussion:
One of the hardest things to do as a designer is balance a scenario so that both casual and expert players can enjoy your map. Most editors give designers the ability to set difficultly levels. If a player chooses to play a map on hard, the trigger with the condition difficultly level = hard fires and the scenario is altered via triggers to increase the level of difficultly. How effective is this system though? Most RTS games only come with three difficultly levels that can be implemented in the editor. Are these three levels enough?Check out his thread here!
- Forum Logo Contest
- Posted on 10/11/2005 at 6:04 PM by Intrepid
- Rise and Fall Heaven is proud to announce our biweekly forum logo contest.
The forum logo that currently graces Rise and Fall Heaven looks a little boring and needs to be replaced. Thus we are inviting you, the forumers, to step up and design a new forum logo. Every two weeks the staff here at Rise and Fall Heaven will judge the submissions and pick the top entry. The top entry will then be made the forum logo for the next two weeks and so on and so forth.
If you want to learn more about the contest, please visit the official contest thread.
Forum Logo Contest
- Exclusive Developer Interview!
- Posted on 10/5/2005 at 7:05 PM by Chonaman
- Rise & Fall Heaven is proud to present this tantalizing interview with Lee Eisenhuth, one of the Game Designers for Rise & Fall at SSSI. There is quite a bit of new, detailed information about this remarkable, new RTS game - especially with regard to hero mode, hero weaponry and design elements for the game as well as the RTS genre. We hope you find this informative and exciting!
In coming days we hope to present more interviews of this nature, so keep a close eye on the the Official Rise & Fall Community site
Rise and Fall Heaven™ Copyright © 2005 HeavenGames™ LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Please obtain written permission from HeavenGames if you wish to use our site's content and graphics on other sites or publications. Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® is a game by Midway. Rise and Fall® and Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® are registered trademarks owned by Midway Home Entertainment, Inc.