News Archives - August 2005
- Poll Roundup
- Posted on 8/23/2005 at 1:55 PM by Adder
- Poll results have arrived, and it's looking like most of you are looking forward to skirmish games the most. That's not too much of a surprise, considering that's what the majority of RTS gamers play. Here's the full results:
31.0% Scenarios and/or Pre-packaged CampaignsThis week the poll asks what your PC is like. Trash you plug into the wall, or your pride and joy? Vote on the right below the ad!
54.8% Skirmish Games (SP/MP)
14.2% Scenario Designing
- IGN - Midway Games Day Report
- Posted on 8/22/2005 at 12:17 PM by Lysimachus
- I few days ago, IGN wrote up a small report on Midway's upcoming titles at a publishers event in Chicago. Among those was Rise & Fall.
In any case, Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War made a very impressive showing. It was easy to see that the Stainless Steel team has put in a lot of work since I last saw the project at E3 in mid-May. I also got a far longer and much closer look this time, which made things like the lighting and the degree of detail in the artwork highly noticeable.Check out the full report here!
- Worthplaying - 15 New Screenshots
- Posted on 8/22/2005 at 9:01 AM by Lysimachus
- It looks like Worthplaying has released 15 new gorgeous screenshots! These are some of the best I've seen yet. Several new units and new artwork are revealed, including a lower line of Egyptian spearmen, lower line of Roman swordsmen, and the mighty Persian Griffin-shaped mobile tower! Be sure to check them out here:
You can look forward to actually getting your hands on these units in Q1 2006.
- New GameSpy Preview
- Posted on 8/17/2005 at 2:34 PM by Adder
- It looks like GameSpy had a chance to play Rise & Fall at Midway's Gamer's Day. It also looks like they had fun:
Hero movement in Rise & Fall is controlled by the W/A/S/D key layout familiar to anyone who's ever played a 3D game. Heroes can switch between weapons or use special powers with keyboard commands. In my case, once I got a feel for moving Cleopatra around and mowing down a line of Roman troops with her sword, I realized I had to get a move on. Time in Hero mode is limited by the quickly diminishing "Stamina" statistic that can only be replenished via power-ups scattered around the map. With my troops getting cut down, I ran Cleo into the town, avoiding enemy Centurions where I could, killing them when I had no choice and headed straight for the barracks. Once there, I used my curved, bronze sword to start chopping away, eventually bringing the barracks down so my troops could overwhelm the town just before my stamina ran out.Check out the preview here!
- Battle for Middle Earth 2 Community Summit
- Posted on 8/16/2005 at 12:36 PM by Adder
- As you may know I was in Los Angeles for the Battle for Middle Earth 2 Community Summit on August 3rd to 5th along with One Dead Angel and Socvazius. It was a great event, and I throughly enjoyed myself.
We've put up some articles about the event that you should totally check out, as the game's looking pretty good at this point in time.
Check out Socvazius' game preview, One Dead Angel's modding preview, and my writeup of the event!
I'm working on getting some images and other content added to the writeup of the event, things I was unable to do while on vacation. I'll keep you updated.
- Gallery Updated
- Posted on 8/16/2005 at 11:51 AM by Adder
- I've just finished giving the gallery a big update. Many images have been replaced by higher resulotion versions, and some new shots have been added.
Check out the gallery here, enjoy!
UPDATE: It looks like some of the images have refused to upload. I'm working on getting all the screenshots up...
- IGN Hands-On Preview and 6 new Movies!
- Posted on 8/15/2005 at 9:54 PM by Lysimachus
- It looks like IGN was able to recently get their hands on Rise & Fall and give us some scoop on what it was like playing the Cleopatra campaign:
Last night was the perfect opportunity to see how the different portions of the game would blend together into a cohesive whole. The first scenario up for play was one of Cleopatra's. She and her troops needed to find a way across the Nile, only an army of Romans stood in the way and the only boat was a long way from the shore and the typical army are reluctant swimmers....You can check out the rest of the Hands-on Preview here!
Aside from that are 6 new movies showing some incredible in-game footage clips from Cleopatra fighting the Romans and Alexander hacking his way through a Persian city to naval assaults on some coastal fortresses. Be sure to check all 6 movies here.
- Developer Interview Video & Hands-On Update from GameSpot
- Posted on 8/12/2005 at 6:36 PM by Lysimachus
- GameSpot has yet provided another video, but this time with developer comments by Rick Goodman. Several new footage scenes are noticeable and worth the watch. To check it out, simply select the top "Developer Interview" of the two listed here.
You can also read GameSpot's short Hands-On Update where they briefly describe their thoughts on the current progress of Rise & Fall.
- New Rise & Fall Trailer and Screenshots!
- Posted on 8/11/2005 at 12:49 PM by Lysimachus
- Looks like GameSpot is one of the first to bring us the new Rise & Fall Official Trailer 2 and 5 new Screenshots!
However, for the full 44MB version of this trailer, I recommend downloading it from FileFront here. There is plenty of new footage for the eye to glee on, so what are you waiting for!
- A Psycho Drops By
- Posted on 8/1/2005 at 7:45 PM by Adder
- A special psycho, mind you. Psycho Boy Jack, known in real life as Greg, the lead graphics programmer at SSSI has dropped by the forums to comment on a topic that's growing quite a bit. Indeed Greg's first post at Rise & Fall Heaven is located at post 101 in this thread:
The one thing I will say, is that there is a relatively large turn around time from when we take screen shots and they show up on the web. We're adding new things all the time, and I can definitely say that our current technology looks even better than what has been released in most of the screen shots =)That's not all he said, but you can certainly check out the rest. I'm impressed that the graphics are continually improving, although it's something that'll always happen during a game's development, the screenshots already look so good that it's hard to imagine them even better looking.
Rise and Fall Heaven™ Copyright © 2005 HeavenGames™ LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Please obtain written permission from HeavenGames if you wish to use our site's content and graphics on other sites or publications. Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® is a game by Midway. Rise and Fall® and Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® are registered trademarks owned by Midway Home Entertainment, Inc.