News Archives - July 2006
- Posted on 7/30/2006 at 5:53 AM by Wok
- As lu31605 has noted in our forum, Play.com is listing an expansion pack for Rise and Fall as available for pre-order, with a release due for September. No other details are given (not even a name), and we have heard no other information about an expansion from any other sources, so there's every chance this is merely a mistake. However, I'd say it's still worth speculation!
Regardless of the reliability of Play.com, an expansion for Rise and Fall has been a topic of interest amongst our forumers. Visit this thread, started by Blitz5927, to view some of our forumers' ideas, or even submit your own.
- More Reviews
- Posted on 7/29/2006 at 4:39 PM by Wok
- A new batch of reviews of Rise and Fall has surfaced in the last week; four from magazines and one online.
Game Chronicles - 7.8/10
Games Master UK - 68/100
Edge Magazine UK - 6/10
Game Informer - 5/10
PC Gamer - 90/100
Please note the high score of the PC Gamer review, and also the fact that Rise and Fall Heaven gets a mention in the Game Chronicles review. We're practically famous!
- The Assembly has Spoken...
- Posted on 7/20/2006 at 6:23 AM by Wok
- Our last poll asked the question: Have you used the editor yet?. The results of this poll were promising for our scenario design community, with 58% of you answering Yes. Those of you interested in using Rise and Fall's scenario editor should visit our Scenario Design Forum, where you'll meet some like-minded individuals, and hopefully improve your skills.
Here are the final results:
Yes (58%)This week, we have a simple question for you: Which do you feel is the best civilization overall?
I Never Will (5%)
The game has been out long enough now that hopefully you have picked up on the various nuances of each civ, and have formed a strong opinion. Happy voting!
- Forum Discussion
- Posted on 7/19/2006 at 4:59 AM by Wok
- Now that Rise and Fall has been out long enough for people to judge the game's balance and come up with some creative strategies, we've had some interesting discussion on our forum concerning these topics. Here are some threads worth reading:
the prevalent strategy in rise and fall
Roman Taxing: Is it OverPowered?
How do you stop a Rusher?
In our Scenario Design Forum, we've also had an interesting multiplayer scenario concept posted by Mob Freako. Entitled The Great Hunt, version 1 of this scenario is available for download.
- New Review
- Posted on 7/19/2006 at 4:43 AM by Wok
- There is a new review of Rise and Fall on GamingTrend. The reviewer gives a mere 57% score to the game, but frustratingly (as has been the case with many of the reviews of the game) doesn't actually mention the gameplay very much.
With the game having been released for well over a month now, the flow of reviews is coming to a close. You can give the reviews a good, uh... review, on our Review Page, in which we have attempted to collect most of the major press reviews of the game.
- Download Section Update
- Posted on 7/16/2006 at 4:30 PM by Wok
- The software behind our Download Section has been updated to version 0.6.5. Aside from general bug and security fixes, this has added a few new features. Most notably:
- BB Code is now implemented for file descriptions, so you can format your text more easily.
- We now have the possibility to add an "official reviewer" system, which we may choose to do in future.
- Comments and reviews are now searchable.
- You can now view recently added comments via a link on the navigation bar.
As the Beastie Boys once said (with direct reference to this post, of course), check it out!
- My Resignation
- Posted on 7/16/2006 at 12:55 PM by Intrepid
- I recently started full time into my summer job. At first I believed that I would have the time to do my job and run this site. Unfortunately, this has not been the case. As many of you have noted in emails and in MSN messages my involvement in the community has been almost non-existent as of late. So it is with a heavy heart that I must resign from Heavengames.
Thanks for all the great times. I wish this site, and the great users who make up its community the best in the future.
- Patch 1.12
- Posted on 7/15/2006 at 10:03 AM by Wok
- After many people had reported problems with the recent Patch 1.11 causing mouse control issues, Midway has promptly responded with Patch 1.12, which fixes these issues. Hopefully we will all now be able to continue conquering the world as normal!
- New Review
- Posted on 7/12/2006 at 10:56 AM by Wok
- Fragland.net is host to a new review of Rise and Fall. The reviewer gives the game a score of 71%, and seems to be of the opinion that Rise and Fall's concept is great, but that the game does not fully deliver, partly due to the demise of SSSi. In my own humble opinion, the reviewer was too harsh on the graphics and didn't go into enough detail about the actual mechanics of the game.
In totally unrelated news, it has now been a whole month since Rise and Fall's release. I hope you're all still having fun!
If you've finished the game's campaigns and thoroughly played most of the multiplayer maps already, then check out our Download Section, where some of our members have already submitted their own material to be downloaded. Alternatively, head on down to our Scenario Design Forum if you're interested in creating your own maps, and I'm sure somebody will help you out.
- The Assembly has Spoken...
- Posted on 7/2/2006 at 12:51 PM by Intrepid
- Several weeks ago we asked the question: To what degree have you had technical problems with Rise and Fall?. The answers that we have received from this poll are somewhat disturbing, with 71% of Rise and Fall players reporting some sort of technical problem with the game. Hopefully, Midway’s upcoming patch will help alleviate some of the technical problems that users are experiencing with the game.
Here are the final results:
No problems (28%)
Minor Problems (40%)
Severe Problems (15%)
This game is unplayable (16%)
This week we are asking the question: Have you used the editor yet?
- Contest Results
- Posted on 7/2/2006 at 12:17 PM by Intrepid
- The Ancient Relic Contest has come to a close. I want to thank all the people who took the time to search through the site to find all the relics.
With that said, here are the winners:
Grand Prize Winner: Cameraman
Runners-up: Oscar, Acamas_Samaca, Silk, imperator3733
Once again, a big thank you to Midway and Nvidia for supplying the prizes and to all of you who entered.
Rise and Fall Heaven™ Copyright © 2005 HeavenGames™ LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Please obtain written permission from HeavenGames if you wish to use our site's content and graphics on other sites or publications. Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® is a game by Midway. Rise and Fall® and Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® are registered trademarks owned by Midway Home Entertainment, Inc.