News Archives - May 2006
- DGDN Recruiting
- Posted on 5/27/2006 at 11:50 AM by Intrepid
- With Rise and Fall and its fantastic editor on the way in only 17 days, the scenario design community is starting to gear up. One of the oldest and most widely known scenario design teams DGDN (Dragon Gaming Design Network) has announced that they are designing for Rise and Fall and are now accepting applicants as we speak. Here is a short blurb about the team:
Cat: I am Cat, one of the Heads of DGDN and responsible for Community Relations of DGDN -- Dragon Gaming Design Network. We plan on covering all RTS hits out there (aok, aom, sw_gb, wc3, tft...). We currently are looking for some terrific designers to design for R&F!
If you are interested and you are of the opinion that you are at least intermediate in your field, then send a mail to cat at dgdn dot net subject=DGDN Recruitment. Take your chance and be a member of one of the greatest gaming design networks out there!
You can check out their recruiting thread here.
- Rise and Fall goes Gold
- Posted on 5/26/2006 at 5:38 PM by Intrepid
- It has just been announced that Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War has gone Gold. The Real Time Strategy game, which will allow player to take control of the Greeks, Persians, Romans and Egyptians is set to ship June 12, 2006.
A big thanks to Valdraz for pointing this out on the forums.
- New Rise and Fall Preview
- Posted on 5/26/2006 at 1:59 PM by Intrepid
- Web Wombat (a site that I have never heard of before) recently posted a new preview of Rise and Fall. The author seems incredibly enthusiastic about Rise and Fall. This enthusiasm comes out in spades throughout the preview, making the preview quite an enjoyable read. Here is an excerpt:
In conclusion, this real time strategy game is already shaping up to be a very slick product, with awesome gameplay and involving combat, not to mention infrastructure development. All I can say is, watch out Age of Empires!
You can read the preview in its entirety here.
- Rise and Fall Heaven on RSS Feed
- Posted on 5/25/2006 at 2:37 PM by Intrepid
- Rise and Fall Heaven has entered the 21st century, it is now possible for users to utilize their favourite RSS reader to track VIP posts, new topics and new messages.
To learn more about RSS feeds check out this wikpedia article.
- Rise and Fall Unit & Advisor Preview @ Gamespot
- Posted on 5/23/2006 at 11:26 PM by Intrepid
- Gamespot just posted a new preview of Rise and Fall in which, they look at some of the units and advisors the Greeks have access to. Here is a list of some of the advisors shown in the preview and the bonuses that they provide:
Philospher: Morale Bonus
Surgeon: Wounded Soldiers Slowly Heal
Botanist: Improved Harvesting Abilities
The preview is fairly disappointed as many of the descriptions for the units and advisors that are provided are vague to the point of saying absolutely nothing in regards to their abilities.
The end of the preview notes that we have now seen two of the four civilizations present in Rise and Fall. Hopefully, there will be previews on Persia and Rome before the game ships. You can check the preview out here.
In addition to the Greek Civilization Preview, there is also a new gameplay movie in which Matt Vella, the producer, talks about the pros and cons of the Greek Civilization. According to Mark, the Greeks benefit from gathering Glory faster than the other civilizations, but they are hampered by a weaker starting position. You can check the movie out here.
- NYU Scenario Design Course
- Posted on 5/23/2006 at 7:28 PM by Intrepid
- The starting date for the NYU game design course has changed. The course will now start on June 26th and run through to August 2nd.
The course is being run by the famous scenario designer Gordon Farrell, who I am sure all of you are familiar with for his outstanding scenarios for Age of Kings, Empire Earth and Empires: Dawn of the Modern World. Gordon has worked with numerous gaming companies, including SSSI, Breakaway Games and Tilted Mill.
If youíre interested, more information on the course can be found here.
- The Assembly has Spoken...
- Posted on 5/22/2006 at 2:36 PM by Intrepid
- Last week we asked the question: What part of Rise and Fall Heaven do you like the best? Not surprisingly, The Forums were the most popular part of the site, closely followed by the The Unit Section. Here are the final results:
The Forums (30%)
The Units Section (23%)
The Image Gallery (15%)
The Exclusives Section (7%)
The Game Info Section (15%)
The History Section (10%)
This week we are asking the question: What do you think of the coverage of Rise and Fall thus far?
- E3 2006 Trailer from IGN
- Posted on 5/17/2006 at 4:40 PM by Lysimachus
- Although a few days old, I noticed a new and unique E3 Trailer on Rise & Fall provided by IGN. There are several new scenes not shown in past trailers that definitely make it worth watching.
So go ahead and check it out for yourself here!
- Welcome Back Chonaman!
- Posted on 5/15/2006 at 1:07 PM by Intrepid
- I would like to welcome Chonaman back to the staff here at Rise and Fall Heaven. Chonaman will be working at Rise and Fall Heaven as a forum contributor and moderator.
You can congratulate Chonaman in this thread in our community forums.
- Strategy Section
- Posted on 5/15/2006 at 12:48 PM by Intrepid
- Rise and Fall Heaven is pleased to unveil our new Strategy Section and our first strategy article: Glory Ė The Third Resource by Chonaman. Here is an excerpt:
There is one major misconception (at the current time) about Glory statues, which needs to be cleared up. They do not produce an infinite amount of Glory. Once completed, Glory statues actually produce 20 Glory points every 22 seconds. They only produce Glory for 7 minutes F11 time, about 380 Glory points in total (possibly 400; this can be verified but is time-consuming to test).
- 2 New History Articles
- Posted on 5/14/2006 at 8:13 PM by Intrepid
- MaximusDecimus has been kind enough to donate two new articles to our History Database here at Rise and Fall Heaven. The first article chronicles the Third Punic War and the subsequent Fall of Carthage. The second article examines the history of the Phalanx Hoplite. While both articles are excellent, the article on the Phalanx Hoplite is particularly interesting as MaximusDecimus examines the rise of the Polis and the effect of the Hoplite on Greek culture.
If you have a history article that you wish to submit to Rise and Fall Heaven please review our Submission Guidelines.
- NYU and Scenario Design
- Posted on 5/12/2006 at 8:42 PM by Intrepid
- New York University is holding classes this term on the topic of Dialogue and Narrative Creation for Electronic Games. The classes are being run by the famous designer Gordon Farrell, who I am sure all of you are familiar with for his outstanding scenarios for Age of Kings, Empire Earth and Empires: Dawn of the Modern World. Gordon has worked with numerous gaming companies, including SSSI, Breakaway Games and Tilted Mill.
If your interested in the course you can learn more about it here.
- Rise and Fall @ the E3
- Posted on 5/10/2006 at 11:14 AM by Intrepid
- Gamespot has 11 new screenshots and 1 new video as a result of their E3 coverage. Disappointingly, the video is just a remixed version of one of the old trailers. The screenshots on the other hand are fairly captivating and worth checking out.
Stay tuned for more upcoming reports about Rise and Fall from the E3.
According to Gamespot's statistics, Rise and Fall is number 38th in terms of popularity at the E3, not too shabby.
- The Assembly has spoken...
- Posted on 5/8/2006 at 5:32 PM by Intrepid
- Last week we asked the question: What do you think of the Rise and Fall Demo so far? It seems that the majority of the users visiting Rise and Fall Heaven are fairly satisfied with the demo. Here are the results:
Pretty good (49%)
This week we are asking the question: What part of Rise and Fall Heaven do you like the best?
- Forum Discussions
- Posted on 5/8/2006 at 5:25 PM by Intrepid
- Over the last week several interesting forum discussions have started up here at Rise and Fall Heaven. Here are the ones I recommend checking out:
RTS Play Balance: What have we learned?: A discussion about Rise and Fall and how to balancing RTS games.
Rise and Fall and Competitive Gaming: Mokon provides a brief look into how hardcore RTS players view the shift in recent RTS games towards the casual market.
The Suggestions Thread: This thread contains numerous suggestions about the gameplay in Rise and Fall.
I highly recommend giving all of these threads a read through, and if you have an opinion on one of these topics please, feel free to express it.
- More Rise and Fall on the Horizon?
- Posted on 5/3/2006 at 3:47 PM by Intrepid
- The always informative Sean McCann made a post in our forums today where he stated that Midway sees Rise and Fall as a franchise rather than a single game. Here is the quote:
I'll tackle them in random order, starting with the overall strategy:
Rise & Fall has a colon after it for a reason. Midway sees it as a franchise and not a game. We're in this for the long haul, and our numbers in Europe alone (holy COW) are extremely promising.
What does this mean for the future exactly? Its too early to tell, but the possibility exists that there might be more Rise and Fall games down the road.
- Our Download Section
- Posted on 5/2/2006 at 8:02 PM by Intrepid
- Rise and Fall Heaven is pleased to present our shiny new Download Section. I have no doubt that in due time our Download Section will be packed with high quality scenarios and campaigns.
In the meantime, if you wish to discuss Rise and Fallís scenario editor, or the scenarios that you plan on creating, stop by our Scenario Design Forum.
- Rise and Fall Preview @ Fragland
- Posted on 5/1/2006 at 2:52 PM by Intrepid
- Fragland recently posted a new preview on Rise and Fall. The preview does not offer much in the way of new information, but itís a well-written preview and is worth checking out simply for that reason. Here is an excerpt:
Despite all the attention for the Hero mode, which is entertaining to a certain point, I personally think that the naval combat is the most important feature. Most trailers already showed what happened when a trireme at full speed rammed another ship; a fatal, spectacular impact.
- New Preview at 1up.com
- Posted on 5/1/2006 at 2:34 PM by Wok
- 1up.com has recently added a new preview of Rise and Fall. Whilst no new information is given and only the game's core features are discussed, the previewer seems genuinely excited about the game's arrival.
"On the whole real time strategy games tend to follow a pretty set pattern: build up forces -- usually by constructing a base and harvesting some resources, scout out the map, and crash waves of units into the enemy. Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War is no exception. Its depiction of the ancient Mediterranean world hits all the key points as well as any and offers a few interesting refinements. But it tops it off with something unconventional (at least on the PC) that could make this one of the more interesting RTS offerings this year."
1up.com has also revealed a selection of new screenshots, which are definitely worth checking out. Thanks to Midway's Sean McCann for the heads up!
Rise and Fall Heaven™ Copyright © 2005 HeavenGames™ LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Please obtain written permission from HeavenGames if you wish to use our site's content and graphics on other sites or publications. Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® is a game by Midway. Rise and Fall® and Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® are registered trademarks owned by Midway Home Entertainment, Inc.