News Archives - April 2006
- The Assembly has Spoken...
- Posted on 4/28/2006 at 10:45 AM by Intrepid
- Last week we asked the now entirely pointless question: Do you intend to download the Rise and Fall Demo when it comes out on the 28th? Seeing as the demo has been out for eight days now, whatever significance this poll might have had has now been lost. The insignificance of this poll is also compounded by the fact that I added a new poll answer half way through the poll.
This week we are asking the question: What do you think of the Rise and Fall Demo so far?
- Eurogamer Preview
- Posted on 4/26/2006 at 2:01 PM by Intrepid
- Eurogamer just posted a preview today of Rise and Fall based on the preview code that all the major PC gaming sites will be receiving. The article talks about the first four levels of the Greek Campaign. The article makes for an enjoyable read and it gives a fair idea of what to expect from the campaigns in terms of gameplay. Here is an excerpt from the article:
Those of you who wept as the ships in Battle for Middle-Earth 2 twitched, as though in the grip of a grand mal seizure, as you tried to work out how to land on a open stretch of beach while your army was slowly slaughtered, will be grateful. Click where they go. Board. Get off again. Ships can be ordered to ram or - even better - have sailors with grapples drag them beside each other to allow proper boarding attacks from your deckfuls of tooled up Spartans, even capturing the ship.
- Rise and Fall Number 1 on Gamespot
- Posted on 4/24/2006 at 11:14 AM by Wok
- Following the early release of the demo, Rise and Fall is now officially the most popular game on Gamespot. This is fantastic news for fans of the game, and well deserved! We can only hope (and assume) that the game's buzz will continue to grow until its release on June 12th. Kudos to SSSI and Midway!
Gamespot's Rise and Fall Page
Thanks to bloodaxe21 for pointing this out on the forum!
- Rise and Fall Demo
- Posted on 4/20/2006 at 11:08 PM by Intrepid
- It looks like Christmas has come early this year. The Rise and Fall Demo is now available for download at a plethora of sites:
- New Unit Section
- Posted on 4/19/2006 at 12:23 AM by Intrepid
- After a great deal of toil by Lysimachus, Wok, Jaime and myself our new Unit Section is finally up. The section not only contains unit images and descriptions, but also detailed historical descriptions. At the moment there are still unit images and descriptions that we do not have so please bear with us as we attempt to collect the rest of the unit information.
If you find any problems or have any suggestions please make your concerns clear in our Website Comments forum.
- Posted on 4/18/2006 at 10:46 PM by Intrepid
- Seeing as a lot of fans of Rise and Fall are not simply just fans of this game, but fans of the antiquity genre, I thought might be interesting to give you a preview of another ancient RTS game in development, 0AD.
0AD is an ambitious project being worked on at this moment by a group of talented volunteers at Wildfire Games. Their goal is to create a deeply historical RTS game set in ancient world that takes advantage of the unique military period with its gameplay mechanics. So far the game is looking very impressive.
The first edition of 0AD, ranging from 500 BCE to 1 BCE, will have 6 playable civilizations, the Carthaginians, Persians, Romans, Hellenes, Iberians and Celts. Each civilization is reported to have unique units, buildings and playing style. Very cool.
0AD will also feature changing seasons, territorial regions, realistic maps, multiplayer and a scenario editor. Most importantly, 0AD will be free to download. If your interested you can read more about the 0AD project here.
The site also boasts a large number of well researched history articles that are worth checking out
- Gameplay update and Media @ Gamespot
- Posted on 4/17/2006 at 11:19 PM by Intrepid
- Gamespot just posted a new preview, 3 new movies and 15 new screenshots.
Unfortunately, the preview is entirely unimpressive as it fails to reveal any new information about the game, and Jason Ocampa, the previewer, comes off sounding incredibly disinterested. The movies and images are a little more interesting as they display some of the mechanics of the game and as such are worth checking out.
- Demo - First Thoughts
- Posted on 4/16/2006 at 2:14 PM by Wok
- I live in the UK and was lucky enough to be able to pick up the Rise and Fall demo yesterday morning. I've played it a fair bit now and since I know most of you are very eager to know the details, I've written up a summary of the demo. Check it out here.
Don't fancy reading? I've also taken a bunch of screenshots displaying various parts of the demo, viewable here.
To anybody else who has played the demo already: what did you make of it? Good points, bad points? I pretty much loved it, but I still want to discuss it and hear some other opinions. Join in the discussion in this thread.
- New Preview at Gamespy
- Posted on 4/15/2006 at 12:53 PM by Intrepid
- Gamespy just posted a new preview of Rise and Fall. The preview is short on new information, minus a short description of the objectives in the third scenario of the Greek Campaign, however for that reason it is worth checking out. You can read the preview here.
- The Assembly has Spoken...
- Posted on 4/14/2006 at 7:55 PM by Intrepid
- Two weeks ago we asked the question: What do you intend to do first after you install Rise and Fall. Despite the fact that one of the options was a silly answer most people chose the answer: Play a Skirmish Map. Here are the final results:
Play a Skirmish map (71%)This week the question is: Do you intend to download the Rise and Fall demo when it comes out on the 28th?
Go Online (6%)
Open up the Editor (10%)
Make a Sandwich (13%)
- Worldwide Demo Release Date!
- Posted on 4/14/2006 at 6:51 PM by Lysimachus
- Midway has confirmed the release date for the Rise & Fall Single Player Demo:
"Midway will provide a worldwide online demo for Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War on Friday, April 28th. The demo will contain one mission from the single player campaign and a skirmish map."So far, that is all the information released about the demo. So mark your calenders and get yourselves ready for a ton fun!
- Rise and Fall Demo with PC Gamer!
- Posted on 4/14/2006 at 3:10 PM by Wok
The Rise and Fall demo is now available to the public! As confirmed by Midway's Sean McCann on our forum, this month's UK PC Gamer comes with the demo on its cover disc. UK visitors, be sure to pick up a copy as soon as possible and join in the excitement!
According to Sean: "Yes, PC Gamer UK has the demo on their cover disc. Somebody has to be first, and we at Midway decided that we'd go with the UK first since well over half of Rise & Fall's total sales will be in Europe."
To those outside the UK, no word just yet as to when the demo will be available online, but stay tuned as according to Sean we will know by the end of the day.
Thanks to Dauntless for bringing this to our attention in this thread.
And yes, it is true this time ;)
- Sean McCann Talks about the Civilizations and Naval Combat
- Posted on 4/13/2006 at 8:42 PM by Intrepid
- Sean Mccann the always friendly and informative Midway representative on our forums has had a lot to say this week on the topic of civilizations and naval combat.
Here is an excerpt for what he had to say on Naval Combat:
Grappling deserves its own post, but I swear, watching the hooks fly over to the other ship, then the ropes get pulled tight, is too cool for words. Even seeing it in video isn't enough, you really have to be playing it yourself. But then the Sailors shout "Heave, heave!" and the ships pull slowly closer together. Finally they're stuck together, some planks go up, your infantry automatically crosses to the other side and they fight it out with the other ship's men. Whoever has the most on both ships wins, and you've just Pirated a boat on the high seas.
- New History Articles
- Posted on 4/11/2006 at 12:48 AM by Intrepid
- Thanks to our friends at Rome Total War Heaven our history section has greatly expanded. I would personally like to thank Pallin, Night_Raider, Lord_Morningstar and Johndisp for donating their fantastic articles to help fill our library.
You can check out the new additions to our history section here.
If you have an article that you would like to submit to our history section please send it here.
We are covered for Roman articles, now all we need are some on the other civilizations…
- Countdown to Release Date Begins!
- Posted on 4/7/2006 at 3:43 PM by Lysimachus
- As confirmed by Johner (aka johnerriehl), the official release date for Rise & Fall will be June 12th, 2006.
Head on over to the "Countdown" discussion thread to see the crowd's reaction.
- Please Welcome Jaime Medrano
- Posted on 4/7/2006 at 12:39 PM by Intrepid
- I would like to welcome the newest member to the Rise and Fall team, Jaime Medrano. Jaime will be working as a writer/content contributor here at Rise and Fall Heaven.
You can welcome Jaime to the staff in this thread.
- Forums Down
- Posted on 4/2/2006 at 2:31 PM by Intrepid
- The forums have temporarily gone down due to a malfunction in one of the previous code updates. The staff here at Heavengames is working on the problem and it should be corrected by Monday morning.
Thank you for your patience.
- The Assembly has spoken!
- Posted on 4/1/2006 at 1:34 PM by Intrepid
- Eight long months ago we asked the question: What type of information would you like to see more of from Midway?. It seems what most people would like to see from Midway are some new videos. Here are the final results:
Hands-on Previews (29%)
This week we are asking the question: What do you intend to do first after you install Rise and Fall?
Rise and Fall Heaven™ Copyright © 2005 HeavenGames™ LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Please obtain written permission from HeavenGames if you wish to use our site's content and graphics on other sites or publications. Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® is a game by Midway. Rise and Fall® and Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® are registered trademarks owned by Midway Home Entertainment, Inc.