News Archives - December 2005
- User-posted images on forums temporarily filtered
- Posted on 12/29/2005 at 11:44 AM by Adder
- Recently an exploit was found out in the wild by a researcher on the Bugtraq mailing list. It involves specially crafted WMF (Windows Meta Fils), which when parsed by Windows XP, causes Windows to execute program code. When it was found by the researcher on the internet, it was presented on a webpage that included a WMF image file in the HTML source code. The file in turn successfully installed a trojan onto a fully-patched Windows XP SP2 system.
Another researcher on the Bugtraq mailing list has discovered that because windows recognizes files by parsing file headers, the malicious WMF file could be renamed with other image extensions ( i.e. .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, etc.) and Windows will still parse it as a WMF file. Thus, it is possible for a user with malicious intentions to post images to our forums (or to any websites that displays user-submitted images) and cause damage to other forum users.
Therefore, we will temporarily convert all user-posted images on the forums to links until a patch is released by Microsoft. Since there will always be people who can't / won't update their machines for various reasons (laziness, warezed windows install, they're on dialup, etc.), this temporary measure only helps to stop the initial wave of exploiters and give users a chance to be exposed to news of the problem and a chance to patch their system.
Up-to-date information can be found at the following links:
Stronghold 2 Heaven
- Rise of Rise of Legends Heaven
- Posted on 12/19/2005 at 9:07 PM by Adder
- Rise of Legends, a RTS being developed by Big Huge Games, now has a HeavenGames home; Rise of Legends Heaven. It's being headed by One_Dead_Angel, so it's certainly off to a great start (that, and the content looks good). Here's the press release:
HeavenGames proudly presents Rise of Legends Heaven dedicated to bringing the latest news and information about Rise of Legends to the fans of Big Huge Games, and those eagerly anticipating the release of Rise of Legends.Check out the site here!
Following up on their hugely successful Rise of NationsTM. Big Huge Games has stepped it up a notch with stunning visuals and great gameplay to develop the spiritual successor to their premier title. Rise of Nations: Rise of LegendsTM is now in development due out in early 2006. The game is inspired by the works of Leonardo Da Vinci, the steampunk genre and tales of 1001 Arabian Nights in an epic battle between Magic and Technology! Real Time Strategy rises to a new level once again!
ABOUT HEAVENGAMES, LLC
HeavenGames LLC, based in Lombard, Illinois, is a privately owned web-content publisher geared towards the creation of special-interest sites for Real-Time Strategy and City-Builder games. Its sites, contents, vast amounts of resources, as well as a dedicated staff & management team make HeavenGames' sites the premier destination for gamers worldwide.
- Updated Content at R&F's Official Site
- Posted on 12/9/2005 at 1:02 AM by Lysimachus
- Midway's Official Rise & Fall site, www.riseandfallgame.com has updated their site to near completion, save for the not-working URLs that link to the demo and patch. In addition, the ladder system seems to be somewhat activated. Apparently the current players listed were/are playtesters for the ranking system.
New information is also given for the Civilization Units as well as Heroes, including their strengths and weaknesses. The site shows a game release date for February 2006, but I do not believe this date can been confirmed as of yet since it was only recent that Midway lost their developer, Stainless Steel Studios, just a few weeks before completion, and will now be forced to either find a new developer to finish the game, or finish it off themselves. We'll have to wait for Midway's official Press Releases before anything can be said in stone.
- Statement from Midway Games on R&F's Future
- Posted on 12/2/2005 at 2:15 PM by Chonaman
- We've been anxiously awaiting a statement on the fate of Rise & Fall. Today, Midway released the following statement confirming that SSSI is no longer developing the game, but they indicate that the game will be published in 2006. The complete statement is as follows:
“Due to circumstances beyond Midway’s control, Stainless Steel Studios is no longer involved with the development of Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War. Despite this unfortunate situation, Midway remains focused and determined to deliver a revolutionary real-time strategy experience with Rise & Fall, and will look to stay true to the title’s original development vision. Rise & Fall Civilizations at War remains scheduled for release in 2006. Midway appreciates the patience and support of Rise & Fall fans and will provide updates on the game’s development and a more specific release date as soon as possible.”
Rise and Fall Heaven™ Copyright © 2005 HeavenGames™ LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Please obtain written permission from HeavenGames if you wish to use our site's content and graphics on other sites or publications. Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® is a game by Midway. Rise and Fall® and Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War® are registered trademarks owned by Midway Home Entertainment, Inc.